I have a brand-new story in the anthology Shadowed Souls, which will be released later today. Co-edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie L. Hughes, the book also features stories by Seanan McGuire, Kevin J. Anderson, Rob Thurman, Tanya Huff, Kat Richardson, Jim C. Hines, Anton Strout, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and Erik Scott de Bie.

My story "What Dwells Within" takes place a couple of weeks after the events in my novel Switchblade Goddess. Jessie’s still being hunted by the Virtus Regnum, but she and her familiar Pal are back in Columbus to help her friend Kai deal with a devil who’s kidnapped his new girlfriend. This story offers readers a taste of what they’ll find in Devils’ Field, the 4th novel in my Jessie Shimmer series. This next novel will be out as soon as I’ve finished it and put it through editorial review.

My apologies to the readers who’ve been waiting with utmost patience for the book; getting my MFA degree took a whole lot more time and energy than I expected. If you’ve been considering pursuing your own Master of Fine Arts in creative writing, I’ll probably be posting more about my experiences in the Goddard program here at E2 in coming weeks.

Despite reports that the market for urban fantasy is dead, pre-orders for Shadowed Souls have been brisk and reviews so have been positive. Of course, with Jim Butcher involved, it’s no surprise that readers are excited for the book. It’s one of the most high-profile anthologies I’ve ever been in, and I’m thrilled to be a part of it.

I am feeling awfully tired.

In the last two weeks I've had three people who wanted referral to hospice, then the next day refused hospice, then I did home health paperwork, then they refused that. Oh, and then one of them is in hospice. I grieve anyhow even when it's someone in their nineties and well, my brain knows people die. Duh. My stupid heart grieves anyhow.

I had a patient race into clinic once saying, "Am I going to DIE?"

I looked at him and said. "Yes."

He calmed down and said, "No, I meant am I going to die NOW?"

I said, "How the heck would I know? I don't know the story yet. You don't look like you're dying."

He admitted that it was funny. He was not dying immanently.

I have two people with bad cancer, another in hospice, one who I did a home visit on yesterday and then one who has whirled around from hospital to home to clinic to home to hospital to nursing home in the space of 12 days. This person thinks it's been three days, so I don't know if their memory will recover. Maybe and maybe not. I've been threatening to call adult protective services if I have to. You can be dreadfully smart and not safe home alone.

Anyhow, we will see about Iron Noder. I may get too tired. Hugs, all.

MY CONTINUED EXISTENCE IS EVIDENT.

Oh God I'm old now.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.