Novarupta

Located on the Alaskan Peninsula, Approximately 250 miles southwest of Anchorage, Novarupta's 1912 volcanic eruption was ten times more powerful than the 1980 eruption of Mount St Helens. Novarupta's eruption was a 6 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index. The eruption was so powerful that 14 Earthquakes were recorded with a magnitude of 6 to 7, along with countless smaller aftershocks. It was the most powerful eruption ever recorded in the 20th century.

The explosion spewed 30 times the volume of hot ash into the air as Mount St. Helens. As a result, the Ukak River Valley was buried under about 700 ft of hot ash. That valley and its tributaries became The Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes, a steaming wasteland. Streams now cut through the ash beds, and few fumaroles now still steam.

Novarupta sits below Mount Katmai, which collapsed as a result of the explosion. Afterwards, lava formed a plug dome over the volcano, rendering it dormant.

Two years after the eruption, settlers put up their first tents up in a location we now call Anchorage, Alaska.

Fun Facts:

Lat: 58°16'N
Long: 155°09'W
Elevation: 841 Meters (2,758 Feet)
Type: Plug Dome
Status: Dormant
Location: Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes, Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska

Sources:
www.alaska.com
www.sciencedaily.com
Several websites reported information which was different from these first two, such as the height; ammount of ash spewed, and last activity date. I choose to limit my sources to these two to prevent my confusion.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.