Northern Arizona University is one of the three state universities found in Arizona, a state in the Southwest United States (the other two being University of Arizona (Tucson) and Arizona State (Phoenix)). Founded as a teaching college in 1899, NAU is the smallest of the three universities, with a student population of about 20,000. NAU (home of the Lumberjacks) is located in the city of Flagstaff, about 2 hours north of Phoenix.

NAU’s student population in Flagstaff also happens to have about a 3:1 female-to-male gender ratio. =D

academics
There are 11 schools and colleges at NAU:

athletics
The "Jacks" compete in the NCAA Big Sky Conference. Sports include: history
From the 1999-2001 Undergraduate Catalog:
It began on September 11, 1899, as the Northern Arizona Normal School, with an enrollment of thirty-seven students. Four young women from the group made up the first graduating class in 1901, receiving diplomas that warranted them lifetime certificates to teach in the schools of Arizona Territory.

In 1925, thirteen years after Arizona became a state, the Arizona Legislature changed the status of the institution from a normal school to a four-year college that could grant the bachelor of education degree; at that time, the school’s name was changed to Northern Arizona State Teachers College.

Graduate work began in 1937, when permission was granted to offer a program leading to the master of arts in education. By 1946, the school had augmented its teacher-education programs by adding majors leading to the bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees. A year earlier, the name had been changed again, this time to Arizona State College at Flagstaff.

In 1958, the school began its development as a multipurpose institution by adding a program in forestry. As the number of students and programs continued to grow, the Arizona Legislature granted university status to the school in 1966, and the name was changed to Northern Arizona University. In 1973, the first doctoral students were graduated.

statewide
NAU has campuses all over Arizona, the largest is, of course, in Flagstaff, and the second largest is NAU-Yuma, in Yuma, Arizona.

contact
web: http://www.nau.edu

tel: 520-523-9011

mail:
Northern Arizona University
P.O. Box 4084
Flagstaff, AZ  86011-4084

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.