The Nokia 7650 is Nokia's first entry into the picture phone market.

Released in Europe, Africa and the Aisa Pacific regions in the second quarter of 2002 this phone has been heavily marketed by Nokia, especially with tie-ins with the film Minority Report. For a fair full list of its specifications see the bottom of this w/u

Form

Most people, I've found, are quite struck by the form of the phone. There initial reaction is that its a "large phone". Coming in at 154grams and mesuring 114 by 56 by 26mm its actually pretty light and not so big, especially considering its functions. When put next to a Nokia 6310 you can easily see that the 7650 is shorter (by about 2cm) and wider (by 1cm). Compared to a 3330 (the most common phone in the UK) its about the same height and a centimeter wider. Since I have medium sized hands I find that the phone fits into the palm of my hand fairly well.

In terms of form this phone is quite interesting. The majority of the phone is the screen with the keypad hidden behind the screen. The keypad slides out from under the phone, revealing the camera lens at the same time. This serves to protect the camera when its not in use as well as hiding the keypad which you don't need to use most of the time. The front of the phone has just the joystick, two buttons below the screen and a menu button on it. For most functions on the phone this is all you need. The 'home' screen shows a background of your choice and you can define the functions of the two keys below the screen for when you are at the home screen, these can serve as shortcuts to the most commonly used functions. I personally have the left one to write a text message and the right one for my speed dials.

Ease of Use

Nokia phones are well known for their ease of use, this phone is no exception. With the new, color, graphical interface this phone is very intuitive, even for its more advanced features. Everything can be reached through a series of menus with pretty icons. You can also customise the menus and create folders to store programs in and to order them to your liking. All the menus are navigated with the joystick, clicking the joystick selects items. The left button brings up more options, the right button moves you back a level in the menu hierachy.

One of the nicest things about this phone has to be its polyphonic ringtones. Crap ringtones have plauged mobile phones since they were invented. The ringtones on this phone are beautifull. You can also import MIDI files from a computer or downloaded via WAP for use as ringtones.

In the time I've had this phone (about 1 month at the time of writting this) I've found it very easy to use. The entire user experience is very slick and well done, with very few raw edges.

The Camera

The camera is pretty much what you'd expect from a fixed focus camera built into your phone. Although it takes pictures at VGA resolution (640x480) the focusing isn't that great, tending to be too soft. But it is very usefull for quite a few things. The best use that I have for it is to take pictures of signs or notices so that I don't have to write them down. You can also take smaller 'portrait' pictues that can be attached to address book entries as thumbnail pictures that are displayed on the screen when that person phones you or in your speed dial list.

Functions

Diplay & Interface

Camera

  • Digital Camera - takes pictures at 640x480 resolution
  • Three different modes - 'Normal' 640x480, 'Portrait' 80x96 and 'Night Mode' 640x480
  • 24bit Color depth for the camera
  • Uses phone screen as a viewfinder
  • Supports the following image formats: BMP, GIF 87a, GIF 89a, JPEG, MBM (Symbian OS format), PNG, WBMP and TIFF
  • Number of storable photos only limited by free memory

Communications

  • Can connect to PCs or PDAs over Bluetooth or Infrared
  • Supports both SMS and MMS (Multimedia Messaging System)
  • Can send any combination of audio clip, pictures and text in a MMS
  • Works on GSM 900/1800 and EGSM 900/1800
  • Supports GPRS and HSCSD highspeed data
  • Supports e-mail over GSM data, GPRS and HSCSD
  • Supports the following e-mail protocols: SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4
  • Can transmit data at up to 40kb/s over GPRS or HSCSD

OS

  • Runs Symbian OS
  • Uses an open standard - can run third party applications
  • Supports MIDP Java
  • Has 3.6Mb of total memory for images, phonebook, applications etc.
  • Uses an ARM9 Processor

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.