Cantonese Chinese: "Wo! Wo!" (Incidentally, the term little children use to describe dogs. Courtesy of melodrame)

Catalan: "bup bup!" (Courtesy of koala)

Czech: "haf haf!" (Courtesy of nYxxie)

Dutch: "waf waf!" or "woef woef." (The 'waf waf' is for smaller dogs that make a somewhat higher pitched bark, 'woef' is for big dogs. Very small dogs do a 'kef kef'. Courtesy of archie2)

English: "woof," "arf," "bow wow", "yip yip / yap yap" for small rat-dogs too.

Estonian: "Auh-auh" (Courtesy of upthorn and "A Guide to Barking Abroad" from his copy of The Best of the Journal of Irreproducable Results. montecarlo says: I'd spell the Estonian entry as "Auhh, auhh", because the "h" is not silent, but pronounced hard, like German "ch" in "Achtung".)

Finnish: "hau hau!" or "vuh vuh!" (Courtesy of Jope and break)

French (from Astérix books. i.e., à la Idéfix - you know him as Dogmatix): "Wouaff! Wouaff!" or "ouah-ouah" (Courtesy of melodrame)

German: "Wau-Wau" (pronounced like "vow") or "Wuff-Wuff". (Courtesy of -brazil- and izubachi.)

Hebrew: The canines of Cana'an supposedly go "hav hav!" , but I can't think of ever hearing a dog emit anything remotely like this. (Courtesy of ariels and undone.)

Japanese: "wan-wan"

Mandarin (Han) Chinese: "wang wang!" (note: the ang is pronounced as an "ah" with an "ng", not like "bang" or "fang". Thanks to blaaf for that one.)

Korean: "mong mong!"(Courtesy of Dystopian Autocrat)

Lebanese: "Haw-haw" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Nigeria - Calabar area: "wai-wai" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Norwegian: "voff voff" (Courtesy of Sverre)

Polish: "how, how" (Courtesy of liontamer)

Portuguese: "au au" (Courtesy of e-anorexia.)

Russian: "gav gav!" (Courtesy of TheLady)

Spanish: "gau gau"(Courtesy of koala)

Spanish (El Salvador): "Guau-Guau" (Courtesy of upthorn")

Spanish (Peru): "gua-gua-gua" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Swedish: "vov vov" (Courtesy of h_e)

Tamil: "Bou-Bou" (rhymes with How How) (Courtesy of rep_movsd)

Thai: "hong-hong" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Ukranian: "Breshe" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Vietnamese: "Gau gau" (Courtesy of upthorn)

Yoruba (Nigeria): "gbogbo" (Courtesy of upthorn)

please /msg p_i with further contributions to this (or other aspects to noises animals make in different languages), assuredly the best use yet found for the global forum that is the Internet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.