(this recipe is dedicated to Livio Saganic, who worries too much about being a good father to his son)

Ingredients:

2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 packages active dry yeast
1 and 1/2 cups powdered milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup soybean oil
2 and 2/3 warm water
7 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 and 2/3 soy flour

Directions:

Mix the salt, sugar, yeast, and powdered milk together in a large bowl.

This is about become very messy, so have a glass of wine or put on some rainy day music. Relax. Pretend you're a kid again, making mud pies. Seriously, enjoy the process.

Add eggs, oil, and water.

Combine the two flours in a separate bowl, then add one cup at a time to the first mixture of ingredients. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. (If you've made yeast bread before, you know exactly what I mean. If you're new to this process, trust your judgment. My experience has always been the more flour you use, the easier it is.)

Place the dough, roughly ball-shaped, in a clean, large bowl or pot, rubbed with oil. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let rise until doubled. Depending on several factors, this takes as long as it takes. The factors include altitude and room temperature. Relax, it could be from one to two hours. Read a book, write a few letters, phone an old friend, or if you must feel like accomplishing something else, throw in some dirty laundry in your washing machine.

Once the dough is doubled, punch it down, and divide the dough into three balls. At this point, you can add raisins, sunflower seeds, herbs or sweet spices, if you so desire. I recommend adding things you or those you cook for, like.

Form each ball of dough into a loaf and place in oiled loaf pans. I have also used bundt pans and round pie pans, for variety.

Again, cover and let rise until the dough reaches above the rim of the pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately one hour. Uzivati jeduci kruh!!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.