(Forth:)

De-facto standard stack manipulation word, it DROPs the second word of the stack:

   : nip ( x y -- y) swap drop ;
NIP is not standard; it's just defined the same way (and called the same) by everyone. So much so that many implementations define it for you.

Compare OVER, TUCK and DROP.

A small measure (~25ml) of whisky.

It is quite common in Scotland to order a nip to go along with your pint, as the two seem to complement each other so well.

Nip (?), n. [LG. & D. nippen to sip; akin to Dan. nippe, G. nippen.]

A sip or small draught; esp., a draught of intoxicating liquor; a dram.

 

© Webster 1913.


Nip, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Nipped (?), less properly Nipt; p. pr. & vb. n. Nipping (?).] [OE. nipen; cf. D. niipen to pinch, also knippen to nip, clip, pinch, snap, knijpen to pinch, LG. knipen, G. kneipen, kneifen, to pinch, cut off, nip, Lith. knebti.]

1.

To catch and inclose or compress tightly between two surfaces, or points which are brought together or closed; to pinch; to close in upon.

May this hard earth cleave to the Nadir hell, Down, down, and close again, and nip me flat, If I be such a traitress. Tennyson.

2.

To remove by pinching, biting, or cutting with two meeting edges of anything; to clip.

The small shoots ... must be nipped off. Mortimer.

3.

Hence: To blast, as by frost; to check the growth or vigor of; to destroy.

4.

To vex or pain, as by nipping; hence, to taunt.

And sharp remorse his heart did prick and nip. Spenser.

To nip in the bud, to cut off at the verycommencement of growth; to kill in the incipient stage.

 

© Webster 1913.


Nip, n.

1.

A seizing or closing in upon; a pinching; as, in the northern seas, the nip of masses of ice.

2.

A pinch with the nails or teeth.

3.

A small cut, or a cutting off the end.

4.

A blast; a killing of the ends of plants by frost.

5.

A biting sarcasm; a taunt.

Latimer.

6. Naut.

A short turn in a rope.

Nip and tuck, a phrase signifying equality in a contest. [Low, U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.