Newark, Alameda County, California:
- Population (1999): 42,764
- Area: approx. 13 square miles
Located about 20 miles north of San Jose on the east side of the San Francisco Bay. Newark was first settled in the 1850's and was named after Castle Newark in Scotland by a Scottish land developer in the 1870's. The city government was incorporated in 1955 to counter a proposal which would have made it the industrial zone of the city of Fremont.
[ Source: City of Newark web site - http://www.ci.newark.ca.us/ ]