New York's NHL franchise, one of the Original Six. (Not the original NHL team, which was the New York Americans.) Winners of just 4 Stanley Cups: 1927-28, 1932-33, 1939-40 and most recently 1993-94. They play at Madison Square Garden.

Stars for the Broadway blueshirts included Rod Gilbert, the Rangers all-time scoring leader, goalie Eddie Giacomin, and recently some guys named Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier stopped in. They play in the NHL: Atlantic Division.

The Rangers won the Presidents' Trophy for the 1991-92 and 1993-94 seasons.

Team colours: Blue, red and white.

Retired Numbers:

Founded by impresario Tex Rickard to play in his Madison Square Garden, they quickly put the New York Americans, et al, out of business. A mediocre team for most of its existence, a place where careers went to die - Doug Harvey, Boom-Boom Geoffrion, Phil Esposito... and cash cow Wayne Gretzky. One great non-Gretzkian ex-Ranger is Glen Sather, who, after his career died in New York, became a coach and, later, a top GM. NYR now indulge in hit-and-miss attempts to buy their way out of mediocrity.



Since the original writeup, Sather made a triumphant return to New York (ticker tape, red-carpeted streets of Broadway, upon which vestal virgins led a procession of elephants, including one blue-and-red painted pachyderm bearing Sather himself...), having been installed as the team's new general manager. And, as I write this, Sather/NYR have (reportedly, pending the doctors' OK) given away a piece of the future to acquire a piece of the past -- The (*ahem*) "Next" One, Eric Lindros -- further cementing the franchise's rep as a place where careers go to die (an aside: some of you may remember the long-ago legal battle between the Flyers and NYR over the rights to sign the teenaged Nords draft-dodger Lindros, whose noggin was, arguably, intact at the time; the Fly screwed NYR over then, and they did it again with this new deal). One figures the whole point of this exercise is to sell plenty of 88 jerseys to the suckers fans out there, taking up the slack of Gretz's retirement slowing the sales of 99 jerseys.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.