Originally the New York Morning Journal, the New York Journal-American was one of over 50 newspapers and circulations owned by the larger-than-life William Randolph Hearst.

After his successful turnaround of the San Francisco Examiner, Hearst's next purchase was the Journal in 1895, which he renamed the Journal-American just two years later. It was the Journal-American that provided most of the "yellow journalism" that incited public opinion to demand, and get, the Spanish-American War in 1898.

Over the years, the Journal-American competed with the New York Times, Sun, and Post for readership and precious ad dollars within the Big Apple. Some of the Journal-American's most prominent assets were the outlandish cartoons of daydreamer Rube Goldberg, illustrator Frererick Remington, political analyst and activist Walter Winchell, and investigative reporter George Carpozi, a six-time Pulitzer winner. It also featured the famous comic strip The Yellow Kid, which kept it popular for years. Sportswriters Jimmy Cannon and Ring Lardner also wrote for the J-A in their formative years.

In 1966, the Hearst Corporation, looking to branch into radio and television, began selling off its less profitable newspapers, including the J-A, which saw brief life as the New York World Journal Tribune before fizzling out for good on August 15 of that same year.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.