The generic 'everycity' portrayed in the somewhat cheesy but powerful flick of the same name. The film takes place in a setting meant to represent any big American city. It was actually filmed in New York but goes out of its way not to include any poignant identifiers or references to that fact.
Mario Van Peebles was trying to reflect his view that the events and messages of the flick (power corrupting, drug dealers taking over neighborhoods, gang relations, the ways men treat women, crack being generally not good, etc) can and do occur in urban environments all over this country.

sidenote: Mario did a decent job writing and directing this movie; it does make its point and is worth checking out. However his decision to also play a leading role was a huge mistake.
Father Ted, Series 2, Episode 9

One beautiful sunny morning, Ted comes down to the living room just to find out a strange hairy growth on Father Jack's hands: the ominous hairy hands syndrome has struck again. As stage 6 of the hairy hands seems to be incurable, Jack is being whisked away to an old priests home, and Ted and Father Dougall rejoice in the abscence of Jack's regular abuse and hygienic catastrophes.

FR.TED: Do you remember that time he gave you a big kick up the B-O-T-T-Y!?! Ha ha ha...
DOUGAL: And do you remember Ted, when you were bending over him, and... he held your nose so tight that you had to open your mouth and then he dropped a big spider in it!?! Ha ha ha!
FR.TED: No that wasn't funny Dougal, it was funny when he kicked you up the arse!

One morning though, a large, broad shouldered priest with an enormous, er, Ghettoblaster, a mullet perm and a gold chain sits in Jacks old chair. Father Fintan Stack turns out to be a rude, destructive, obnoxius bastard that listens to jungle day and night and is rather impolite to Ted's friends:

FR.STACK: What are we watching?
FR.KEN:We're looking at the sports day.
FR.STACK: Lots of young fellas running around in shorts. That's the kind of thing you like lookin' at. And I bet you like that too. Only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts. You're sitting there imagining that, with a big smile on your face. Ya dirty fecker!

When Father Stack starts destroying the house by randomly drilling holes into the walls, Ted and Dougall decide to rescue Father Jack from the old priests home. They make a daring and successful escape from "Jurassic Park" and end up in their parochial house, just to see that Father Fintan contracted the hairy hands.

The credits roll over the pieceful old priest home at night, when suddenly a blast of jungle attacks the senses!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cbaker01/frted/NJC.HTM

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.