While in London over the Christmas holiday season I saw a poster with the phrase "Never mind the Euro, it's the Hospitals" in a few places. The poster was day-glo yellow, pink, and black, in direct imitation of the famous cover of the Sex Pistols album "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols". My assumption was that some clever modern band had an album out, or was performing nearby (or had performed), and was making a very sly publicity bid that was both trendy and retro. The January 2002 switch to the Euro by most of the EU was only a week or so away, and The Sex Pistols' paradigm shifting album was released in 1977.

I began telling my father-in-law about the poster, and that I wanted to be sure to get a photo of one (never did). I had only related the text of the poster and he, with absolutely no knowledge of the Sex Pistols, declared it must be a political message put forth by Britain's conservative Tory party. He then explained that one of the main points of contention of late had been that PM Tony Blair, of the (somewhat) left-leaning Labour party was concentrating too much on international issues, like the EU and the Euro, and not enough on critical domestic issues, like the ailing and delay-plagued health care system.

The idea that the conservatives would promote their agenda by referencing the seminal punk rock band is proof beyond doubt that politics makes strange bedfellows.


26 May 02 - mat catastrophe sends this link to an image:
http://www.no-euro.com/mediacentre/campaign/hospitals.gif
Thanks, mat.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.