I'm somewhat skepical about the story behind this for usually a signature is needed to consent to pay for something via credit card, however, whoever started this message obviously wants it to get around, and the story though perhaps not true is an interesting one. On a sidenote, the recipe does make quite excellent cookies.


I like it when the little guy beats the big bully at his own game!
That's why I'm sending this to all of you.
Please read and pass it on!

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas and decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus cookie." It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not but, you can buy the recipe." Well, I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I agreed with approval, just add it to my tab I told her.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe - $250." That was outrageous! I called Neiman's Accounting Dept. and told them the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any POSSIBLE interpretation of the phase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money at this point."

I explained to her the criminal statutes, which govern fraud in Texas. I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the state Attorney General Office for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, it doesn't matter, we're not refunding your money." I waited, thinking of how I could get even, or even try and get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus.... for free. She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do this." I said, "Well, you should have thought of that before you ripped me off. I have the rights to the recipe now so I can do whatever I want with it!" and slammed down the phone on her.

So here it is!!! Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 for this ... I don't want Neiman-Marcus to ever get another cent for this recipe.

NEIMAN MARCUS COOKIES

(Recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 teaspoon soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal
24 ounces chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 8 ounce Hershey bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.