The world in which Fritz Leiber set his stories and novels of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Sometimes spelled "Newhon"; however, the only way I have seen it in the actual stories is Nehwon. While it is effectively a generic fantasy world, Leiber wrote early enough to invent the clichés rather than be affected by them.

Nehwon is, in its own way, alive. But it is less comparable to Gaia than it is to the giant turtle of legend, which waits until people step onto its back before diving into the ocean. The world does not like its inhabitants. At all. In "The Seven Black Priests", Leiber's heroes are pitted against the insane worshippers of this world-being, who, as may be expected, wants to bring about the demise of civilization.

There are two poles, like Earth's. However, they are not just north and south, but death and life as well. The Shadowland, Death's home, is at the north pole; Godsland is at the south.

Nehwon has two continents, only one of which is really inhabited (again, standard fantasy fare). The inhabited continent has a bizarre set of national boundaries, which, at their worst, are completely incomprehensible. The Seven Cities, Lankhmar, Quarmall, Tovilyis, Ilthmar, and three unnamed, are effectively the sociopolitical center of the world. The Empire of the East lies, unsurprisingly, to the east of the Cities. Other nations include the land of the Ghouls, Rime Isle, Stardock, sunken Simorgya, and the Cold Waste, though none of these wields much power. The last of these is the Shadowland, where Death holds court. Not entirely of Nehwon, not entirely outside it, the Shadowland has a fluid boundary which moves at Death's will to entrap the careless.

Update: arieh notes that "Nehwon" is "no when" spelled backwards. It'd completely escaped my notice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.