Neg*lect" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Neglected; p. pr. & vb. n. Neglecting.] [L. neglectus, p.p. of neglegere (negligere) to disregard, neglect, the literal sense prob. neing, not to pick up; nec not, nor (fr. ne not + -que, a particle akin to Goth. -h, -uh, and prob. to E. who; cf. Goth. nih nor) + L. legere to pick up, gather. See No, adv., Legend, Who.]

1.

Not to attend to with due care or attention; to forbear one's duty in regard to; to suffer to pass unimproved, unheeded, undone, etc.; to omit; to disregard; to slight; as, to neglect duty or business; to neglect to pay debts.

I hope My absence doth neglect no great designs. Shak.

This, my long suffering and my day of grace, Those who neglect and scorn shall never taste. Milton.

2.

To omit to notice; to forbear to treat with attention or respect; to slight; as, to neglect strangers.

Syn. -- To slight; overlook; disregard; disesteem; contemn. See Slight.

 

© Webster 1913.


Neg*lect", n. [L. neglectus. See Neglect, v.]

1.

Omission of proper attention; avoidance or disregard of duty, from heedlessness, indifference, or willfulness; failure to do, use, or heed anything; culpable disregard; as, neglect of business, of health, of economy.

To tell thee sadly, shepherd, without blame, Or our neglect, we lost her as we came. Milton.

2.

Omission if attention or civilities; slight; as, neglect of strangers.

3.

Habitual carelessness; negligence.

Age breeds neglect in all. Denham.

4.

The state of being disregarded, slighted, or neglected.

Rescue my poor remains from vile neglect. Prior.

Syn. -- Negligence; inattention; disregard; disesteem; remissness; indifference. See Negligence.

<-- benign neglect. -- A deliberate policy of minimizing public discussion of a controversial issue [by the president] on the theory that excessive discussion in itself is harmful or counterproductive -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.