Norway has always been famous for its gorgeous nature. Worth visiting both in the moderately warm summers and in the cold winters, the country has something to offer all year around. Norway has a total of nineteen national parks, spread all over the country.

Rondane national park

Became a National park: 1962

Location: Rondane is situated in the middle of south Norway, between Dombås, Otta and Folldal, and it is 580 km2 in size.

Flora: There is not an awful lot of flora in the area - most of the national park is situated well above the hight at which trees thrive, and the vegetation is marked by significant amounts of bushes and other typical mountain plants

Fauna: Reindeer and lemmings, that's pretty much it. :-)

Why it might be worth going: The Rondane national park is beautiful. The bare mountains and clear mountain lakes spread around the park are worth seing. The area is also exceptionally clean, so if drinking water from mountain streams does it for you, you might want to give Rondane a spin!


Børgefjell national park

Became a National park: 1963

Location: Børgefjell is located in the middle of norway on the swedish border. It is 1110 km2 in size.

Fauna: Lots and lots of birds, and other fuzzy creatures like mountain foxes, lots of rodents and quite some carnivores.

Why it might be worth going: Majestetic mountains, steep valleys, rivers and lakes. Norway in all its glory.


Omtjernkampen national park

Became a National park: 1968

Location: Ormtjernkampen is situated just south of Rondane, and is, with its 9 km2, Norways smallest national park.

Flora: The park was protected to keep a part of the forest intact, before woodwork started to completely overtake the area. These 9 square kilometers pretty much just a beautifully natural evergreen forest.


Gutulia national park

Became a National park: 1968

Location: Gutulia is just south of Femundsmarka national park located in the southeast of Norway, on the border to Sweden. It is 19 km2 in size.

Flora: Like Omtjernkampen, Gutulia is a large area of forest, containing some of the oldest pine trees in the country - some of them more than 350 years old!


Gressåmoen national park

Became a National park: 1970

Location: Gressåmoen was protected in order to keep a certain landscape area - the transition between forest and mountain - the way it has always been. The area is 182 km2 in size.

Flora: This park is unique. It keeps the whole transition of forest and mountain. This means that it has lots of evergreens, but also a large area of bare mountains.

Fauna: A few lakes that are rumoured to be filled with lots of fish. The swamp and forest areas are filled with loads of birds.


Ånderdalen national park

Became a National park: 1970

Location: Ånderdalen is located on Senja, on the northwest coast of norway. It is 71 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: The Ånderdalen national park shows an amazing display of mountains, mountain birches and evergreens, all in a battle to survive the harsh coast weather.


Stabbursdalen national park

Became a National park: 1970

Location: This park is the northern-most national park. It is near Lakselv in Finnmark, and is situated around the stabburselva river. it is 98 km2 in size.

Flora: old (up to 500 years) trees, incredible valleys and bare mountain areas. Definitely worth a look.

Fauna: The stabburselva is famous for having lots of Salmon and other river fish in it.


Øvre Passvik national park

Became a National park: 1970

Location: Situated on the border to Finland and Russia, 67 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: The western-most arm of the russian taiga - evergreens, waters and swamps all over the place. Rich bird life and lots of fish in the rivers and lakes.


Rago national park

Became a National park: 1971

Location: Rondane is situated in the middle Norway, on the border to sweden and it is 1971 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: Rough terrain with sharp mountains, deep valleys and plains with rocks scattered after the last ice age. Huge waterfalls and rivers.


Øvre Dividal national park

Became a National park: 1971

Location: Located in Troms, i.e up north. It is 743 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: Øvre Dividal has some classic examples of northern Norwegian nature. Lakes, swamps, mountains, valleys and reindeer. Also occasional bears, wolves and other cool carnivores.


Dovrefjell national park

Became a National park: 1974

Location: 256 km2 in size.

Flora: One of the most varied plant and floral areas in northern Europe. Several of the flowers and plants found here are not know to exist anywhere else in the world, such as the Dovrevalmue (Dovre poppy).

Fauna: One particular swamp in the Dovre national park includes an especially varied bird life, but also vastly varied animal life otherwise.

Why it might be worth going: Wild, majestetic mountains, tons of birds and other animals, an incredible Flora - pretty much everything you'd possibly want from a national park.


Øvre Anarjåkka national park

Became a National park: 1975

Location: Øvre Anarjåkka is situated all the way up north in Norway, on the border to Finland. The national park contunues as Lemmenjoki national park inside Finland. The Norwegian part of the park is and it is 1399 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: A tranquil, wavy plains environment with occasional trees, swamps and lots of small lakes, streams and rivers. Supposedly one of the prettiest parks in Norway if you don't like mountains. Then again - if you don't like mountains, why the hell would you want to go to Norway? Go to Holland or Denmark or something :-)


Jotunheimen national park

Became a National park: 1980

Location: Jotunheimen is one of the most famous parks in Norway, and is located in central southern Norway. It is 1145 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: The jotunheimen ("Home of the Jotuns") has a lot going for it. The highest mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen (2469 metres over sea level) is inside the park - a wonderful area with some strong nature experiences.


Hardangervidda national park

Became a National park: 1981

Location: Hardangervidda is the largest national park in Norway - 3422 km2 in size. It is located in the south of the country.

Why it might be worth going: A vast, almost untouched land area with lots of possibilities for trekking, hiking and other outdoor activities. Lots of wild reindeer and lakes with fish. Barren mountain environment, but it looks well.


Reisa national park

Became a National park: 1986

Location: The park can be found in north norway on the border to Sweden. It is 803 km2 in size.

Fauna: Reindeer (both wild and domesticated) and lots of different birds.

Why it might be worth going: The Reisadalen is an amazing canyon made when the Reisaelven (river), by dragging along large rocks and sand, cut itself down through the mountains. Good irrigation from the river has caused a rich flora, on which the animals in the area thrive well.


Saltfjellet / Svartisen national park

Became a National park: 1989

Location: Middle of Norway, 1840 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: Svartisen is the biggest glacier in north Scandinavia - 370 km2. Large areas of marble, polished by years of sand and ice sliding past. Caves, underground rivers and amazingly rich flora and fauna.


Jostedalsbreen national park

Became a National park: 1991

Location: The Jostedalsbreen is located in the southwest of the country, and encompasses 1230 km2.

Why it might be worth going: This area is particularily interesting geologically - the glaciers' melted and refrozen water have mutilated the mountain areas badly, leaving a most peculiar view. Beautiful areas.


Sør Spitsbergen Nasjonalpark (South Spitsbergen national park)

Became a National park: 1973

Location: South Spitsbergen national park is located... ack, I'm not even going to tell you. guess. It is 3560 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: This national park is mostly covered by snow and glaciers all year round, but the areas that aren't are marked with an amazing variety of arctic fauna - birds in particular.


Forlandet national park

Became a National park: 1973 (Program for the Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna)

Location: the park is situated on Spitsbergen it is 640 km2 in size.

Why it might be worth going: The park is the smallest of the national parks on Spitsbergen. A long, narrow island with a rich birdlife. Because the island is in the last curls of the gulf stream, the weather is mild (well, for Spitsbergen, anyway). The park does, however, have several glaciers.


sources: Various tourist brochures, and a map.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.