The National Do Not Call Registry was founded in 2003 by the United States Federal Trade Commission, under 68 Fed. Reg. 4580-4679. It officially takes effect on October 1, 2003. This registry was founded to protect people from telemarketing calls by allowing them to place their telephone numbers in a registry and making it illegal for most unsolicited telemarketing calls to be placed to that number.

To register your telephone number with the National Do Not Call Registry, go to their website (http://www.donotcall.gov). This registration is good for 5 years from the date it goes into effect. The protection afforded by registration goes into effect on October 1, 2003 for people who register by August 31, 2003. After that date, the protection will take three months to be fully effective.

The following types of telemarketing calls are not covered by the registry:

Even if you have an existing business relationship (you have bought a product or used a service of that company, or you have filled out a form which establishes a relationship), you have the right to ask the company not to call you any more. If you do so, and they continue to call you, you may file a complaint.

If you receive a call that is in violation of the rules, you may report it to the FTC via the http://www.donotcall.gov website. You must have the following information to report a call:

  • Name or phone number of the company that called you
  • Date and time of the call
  • Your phone number

Information above gathered from the National Do Not Call Registry website (http://www.donotcall.gov)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.