Nancy is the main character in the Nancy comic strip. She is a young girl who lives with her Aunt Fritzi and has friends like Sluggo and Irma. Aunt Fritzi's last name is Ritz, but it is unclear if this is Nancy's last name. How she ended up living with Aunt Fritzi is unknown.

Nancy is a frequent character in Archie Comics, usually just as Chuck Clayton's girlfriend. She's a drama queen who spends a majority of her time fighting with Chuck about stupid trivial matters like how he forgot the anniversery of the first time they went to a bowling alley or something stupid like that. She really needs a make-over though. She's one of the few characters who still looks like they were transported directly from the 1960's.

Town of the Lorraine dukedom from 13rd to 18th century, from René II to Stanislas, capital of an independent state, until 1766, border town between 1871 and 1914, center of the Art Nouveau afterwards, Nancy's history is rich and enlivened. The city and its suburbs count 258,000 inhabitants.

100 kilometers from Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg,it is opened to Europe... Located in the Meurthe et Moselle sub-region of Lorraine, the Meurthe river flows through Nancy.


Data comes from http://www.mairie-nancy.fr/

Thanks to suggest any English or content corrections.

American comic strip, created by Ernie Bushmiller and distributed by United Feature Syndicate. Nancy Ritz, a chubby little girl with a red bow in her frizzy black hair, made her debut in 1933 as the niece of the lead character in Bushmiller's "Fritzi Ritz" strip. Her popularity soon pushed Aunt Fritzi into the background of her own comic strip, and it was renamed "Nancy" in 1938. 

Besides Nancy, the main characters of the strip include: 

  • Sluggo Smith: Nancy's best friend (and maybe boyfriend), a poor, rough-around-the-edges kid with short, stubbly hair and a cloth cap. 
  • Fritzi Ritz: Nancy's paternal aunt, a former flapper who is drawn in a more realistic and glamorous style. 
  • Rollo Haveall: A curly-haired rich kid. 

And aside from a few minor characters, that's pretty much the most recognizable characters. 

Bushmiller drew "Nancy" for decades, winning the National Cartoonists Society's Humor Comic Strip Award in 1961 and the Reuben for Best Cartoonist of the Year in 1976. It hit peak popularity in the 1970s, when the strip ran in almost 900 newspapers. Bushmiller was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1979 but kept working with the assistance of Will Johnson and Al Plastino. He died in 1982, and Plastino took over the strip for a couple of years. The strip was drawn by various cartoonists over the years. In 1984, Jerry Scott took over the strip and drew it in a much different style -- much less of Bushmiller's influence, much more modern, with a higher quality of jokes. But it just didn't feel like "Nancy," and after a bit more than a decade, it was taken over by Guy and Brad Gilchrist, who returned the strip to something more closely resembling Bushmiller's classic style. 

So what was Bushmiller's classic style? Extremely simple but stylized artwork -- many cartoonists admire (sometimes genuinely, sometimes grudgingly, sometimes purely ironically) the way Bushmiller was able to convey his ideas so economically. You can shrink a "Nancy" strip down to a ridiculously small size and still be able to get the joke. Not that the jokes are good -- they're painfully bad, dumbed down even below the level you'd need for a strip aimed solely at very young children.

But again, Bushmiller fans do appreciate this as part of the weird genius of his style. To his supporters, the seemingly primitive nature of "Nancy" disguises the careful artistic architecture Bushmiller used to set up his gags. Cartoonists like Art Spiegelman, Scott McCloud, Bill Griffith, Wally Wood, Chris Ware, Mark Newgarden, Paul Karasik, and many others have expressed admiration for Bushmiller and even incorporated elements of his style into their own cartoons, while Andy Warhol based one of his paintings on a "Nancy" strip in 1961. 

In 2018, "Nancy" got a new cartoonist, the pseudonymous Olivia Jaimes, who brought in a lot of new readers and controversy. She modernized Nancy's visual style and included topical jokes about Snapchat, Facebook, earbuds, and Twitter bots, along with bizarrely hilarious lines like "Wow, she is going in on that cornbread." and the memetic "Sluggo is lit."  Lots of readers liked this more anarchic style, while plenty of others were enraged by the changes made to the strip. 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.