A magazine released by Future Publishing which featured news, reviews, previews, tips and all the other related miscellanies which make up a magazine, all relating to Nintendo's Nintendo 64 system. Later on in it's life (the mag lasted about 50-60 monthly issues before it changing it's name to Nintendo Gamecube Magazine) the magazine also featured a section in the middle called Planet Gameboy which covered games, peripherals and news for the Nintendo Game Boy Color system.

The magazine was very pre-teen orientated, but thankfully not as much as the horrifically juvenile Nintendo Official Magazine (N64 Magazine was unofficial, which they made a big fuss about, saying how they can review whatever they want and there are no big megacorps breathing down there necks. This was true, if you didn't count Future Publishing. See the PC Format scandal over PC World.). The magazine carried a reasonable balance of everything which could be expected, and occasionally had some real scoops (the debug tap-in codes for GoldenEye 007, for example) and on one notable occasion, an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in which all the questions were contributed by readers of the magazine.

The magazine was staffed by some genuises, and some idiots. When I first began reading (issue 32, September 1999) the editor was Tim Weaver who had graced magazines such as Gamesmaster previously. Other stalwarts included Jes Bickham, aka the bald one, Mark Green (who had a "hilarious" split personality in the mag, one half of which loved Tina from S Club, and the other half of which, Dark Mark, liked to kill people. Or so they say.), and finally, a genuine creative prodigy, Wil Overton. This man churned out not only a whole load of excellent reviews, and dressed up as a wizard to answer reader's RPG questions (in "Ask FuSoYa" - RPG's were Wil's specialist subject), but was also a brilliant artist, and this meant that the magazine often had a cover with no official artowrk CGI renders, but a wonderful hand drawned Joanna Dark etc. His talent was finally recognised when Rareware, the best coders for the system (besides Nintendo) offered him a job. He predictably jumped at the chance, and left the mag just before issue 42. The editorial story said that Rare had swapped them a final cartridge of Perfect Dark to review for Wil, and that it apparently wasn't much of a choice. In that issue Andrea Ball became editor, while Tim Weaver and Jes Bickham left.

As previously mentioned, the magazine is still going under a different name. I have no idea as to the quality currently - since I don't have a Gamecube, I've never bought it. As for how good it used to be, though, well don't expect anything to be sophisticated, or anything particularly funny, and it'll probably tell you all that you need to know.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.