Though the investigation into the bombing is still ongoing, a few things have surfaced that were either reported falsely or are worthy of notice otherwise. Some of these particularly serve as indicators of the attitudes prevalent in contemporary Finland.

Firstly, the issue of Petri "rc" Gerdt's signature on the chemistry board he frequented.
"I'm not a killer but don't push me."
"Revenge is the sweetest thing next to getting pussy -Killuminati"

This was firstly reported by Iltalehti to be a reference to Illuminati, and later to an organization similarly named, Killuminati. The latter would be related to to the dislike of "big corporations" as written above by Bemmu. This quotation is, however, from a rap lyric by the late Tupac Shakur.

This misreporting has stuck, however, with "the word on the street" being that Gerdt was some sort of cult follower. The importance of checking facts (or correcting mistakes publicly, for that matter) just doesn't seem to apply to large media corporations.

The second issue is the immediate backlash of anger that the bomber's family have suffered. It evidently did not take too much time for someone to find Gerdt's address based on his name and given city of residence, and since then the Gerdt household has received multiple threats - though mostly through electronic media such as the Internet. It is important to note, though, that immediately when Gerdt's discussions on Internet Forums were discovered an unprecedented wave of anti-internet propaganda surfaced. The minister of the Interior, Ville Itälä, formed a committee to investigate the possible control of internet message boards. Multiple public discussions in a number of media followed right after.

It is, at the time of writing this node, very early to decide the possible ramifications of this decision, but already the public sentiment has been expressed: According to an internet survey conducted by Alma Media, the majority of people feel the Internet to actively promote the development of dangerous subcultures.

Therefore, I would venture to say that the Myyrmäki bombing is not just a terrible tragedy to those who suffered as a result, but possibly the start of sweeping changes in the right of free speech in Finland. Earlier developments, such as the recent court prohibition of Yhtyneet Kuvalehdet from writing about a certain Finnish ex-celebrity seem like warning signs toward more limited Finnish media and its use.


The author of this writeup wishes to express his deepest sympathies to all the victims of the bombing, and also expresses his deepest loathing for any criminal activity on the Internet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.