Mustard Leaves and Lamb Casserole

Ingredients:

  • 3 1/2 pounds lamb
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 pounds mustard leaves
  • 2 tablespoons mustard seed
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped wild onion
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups beef stock

Preheat the oven to 375. Trim fat from lamb and cut into 2-inch cubes. In a heavy 12-inch skillet melt the butter over high heat. When it gives off a nutty odor, lower the heat and add the cubed lamb. Cook until well browned on all sides, then using tongs remove from the skillet to a large mixing bowl.

Sprinkle flour over the meat and stir with a wooden spoon until it is evenly coated and there is no trace of flour left.

Using a 5-quart casserole equipped with a lid, arrange a layer of the browned meat on the bottom, cover with a layer of mustard leaves, and sprinkle with half of the mustard seeds, onion, salt and pepper. Repeat, ending with a layer of mustard leaves.

Place the skillet in which you browned the meat over a medium heat and let the drippings come to a boil. Add the beef stock and boil, stirring all the time to remove any brown bits from the sides and bottom of the skillet.

Pour the liquid over the meat and mustard leaves in the casserole. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and bake for 1 1/2 hours in the oven, or until the meat is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.

Serves Six

Back to Black Mustard
Back to The Edible Wild

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.