"What would you do if every day, a bank gave you $86,400, telling you that you could do anything with it, but that at the end of the day, whatever wasn't spent was taken away and this could end at any point?

...

Every day, you have 86,400 seconds, and each one can only be spent once. If at the end of the day, you haven't used your time, that's too bad, it's gone forever. And this can be taken away from you so easily."

(Marc Levy, Just Like Heaven)

It's not really how much time you have, but how you use it that really matters. Life is short when you live every day like your last, but it's very long when you don't enjoy it. To someone with terminal cancer, every second is priceless, but to someone who is suicidal, every minute is a huge weight on their shoulders. Your take on the world determines your day to day attitude, and you don't necessarily have to deal with whatever happens. You can just go with it, or you can fight the bad things and go up and down. Sometimes I'm just trying to get through the day without hurting myself or someone else, or losing patience and snapping out, and sometimes I never want the day to end because it's just been so good to me.

Time is so very relative. It only takes the slightest shift in perspective for the world to flip, for time to stretch infinitely or be condensed into tiny particles that are hardly tangible. It’s our outlook that sets how we will see every minute, every second of every day. We could die tomorrow. We could live for years to come. Who knows which will be true? Whatever the case, should we live every moment less if we have years to go? That seems to be the essence of mortality...to see how very easily the candle can blow out, the switch can flick, and oh my, look at that, time has run out.
Perhaps the real goal is simply to be able to face death with few regrets, with little apprehension, knowing that it’s just another trek that’s starting. And why fear death, once you have lived?

Just a thought...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.