By popular request, here is the mushroom pate recipe that I trialled this afternoon, in a fit of 'I need something to spread on toast!' I made it using the mushrooms that I had in my fridge; that is, two very large field mushrooms. They weighed in at 100g, or 3oz. If I were to do this again, I'd be happy to make it using a mixture of different mushrooms, and obviously in larger quantity. As it is, it's quite tasty and there's enough for two as a starter.

This took me about ten minutes. My pate craving was sated in short order and if I ever need a quick starter for an impromptu dinner party, this one will sit high on the list of possibilities.

Ingrediments

Method

Heat the butter in a frying pan over a gentle heat until it begins to foam. Tip in the shallot and garlic and cook until they look glassy.

Add the mushrooms, a sprinkling of salt, a grinding of pepper, a grating of nutmeg, and the brandy. Cook steadily until the mushrooms are tender.

Pour in the cream and mix it through.

Transfer everything to a food processor or blender, add the cream cheese, and blitz it until it is smooth.

Chill in the fridge in a suitable container.

Serve on toast. A glass of white wine goes down well with it, but I chose gin.


Music to cook to: Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.