"Mr. Ed" was a show aired on CBS about a talking horse. The TV series' first show was on January 5, 1961. It was quickly added to the network lineup on October 1, 1961 by CBS programming chief James T. Aubrey. After five years, the last of 143 episodes aired September 4, 1966.

Arthur Lubin was the show's key director. The pilot for the series was entitled "The Wonderful World of Wilbur Pope." At the show's peak "Mr. Ed" commanded 47 percent of the viewing audience in its time slot.

Ed's trainer was Lester Hilton, who was one of Hollywood's best animal trainers. As a young man Lester studied and worked with Will Rogers. It was Lester who found a beautiful palomino named Bamboo Harvester and taught him to talk. The Mr. Ed Company purchased Bamboo Harvester for $1,500 and renamed him Mr. Ed.

The voice of Ed was performed by Allan "Rocky" Lane. Before having fallen on lean times, he had been a very successful movie star. After such an outstanding career Rocky was reluctant to play the voice of a horse. Eventually he agreed to do the show if he was not listed in the credits. Later when the show had become a hit he asked to be included in the credits but the producers turned him down. They felt that adding his name would impact the ratings of the show since many children believed Mr. Ed could actually talk.

Mr. Ed not only can talk. He became involved in human situations, such as riding a surf board, flying an airplane, wearing a Beatle wig, giving advise (through Wilbur) to baseball great Leo Durocher and having existential conversations. Ed's romantic longings and escapades are among the most charming aspects of the show.

One of the most popular 1960s sitcoms, Mr. Ed might attribute much of its success to its memorable theme song. Even if you're just a casual fan of the show, chances are you can recite the tongue-twisting lyrics of "Mister Ed" in your sleep.

The theme was composed by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans, so it's no surprise that the song caught on. Livingston and Evans were life-long collaborators and the best in the business at the time, with three Oscar-winning credits for "Buttons and Bows", "Mona Lisa", and "Que Sera, Sera" (Doris Day's big hit), as well as the TV theme music to Bonanza.

The first six Mister Ed episodes have theme song music only, and no lyrics, as the actor who did Mr. Ed's voice (Rocky Lane) couldn't sing. Eventually Jay Livingston ended up also singing the theme song for the show. Even the deep "I am Mister Ed" at the end of the song was done by Livingston, with added reverb.

The song lyrics can be found under A Horse is a Horse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.