MEC is a wonderful Canadian outdoor store chain with offices in various cities across Canada. Its history stems from the actions of mountain climbers in British Columbia in the 1960's. The group were regular patrons on an American outdoors store called R.E.I. in Seattle; however, they were frequently harassed by customs officials upon return to Canada. The co-op was founded in Vancouver in 1971, to deal with the lack of a good outfitter in Canada. It has grown since then, to include Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, and soon, Halifax.

Some interesting facts about MEC:
  • It costs $5 to buy a share in the Co-op. You cannot purchase anything at MEC without being a member in the Co-op.
  • MEC does not have sales. The only discounts are for damaged or discontinued items.
  • MEC describes itself as a not for profit enterprise, but not a non-profit enterprise.
  • MEC has paid out redemptions to shareholding members on three occasions in its history.
From the horse's mouth

Our Misson Statement

Mountain Equipment Co-operative is a member owned and directed retail consumer co-operative which provides products and services for self-propelled wilderness oriented recreational activities such as hiking and mountaineering, at the lowest reasonable price in an informative, helpful and environmentally responsible manner.

About MEC

Having fun outdoors is what MEC is all about. Our affordable and reliable equipment, services, and advice are here to help you pursue your outdoor adventures. The recommendations of our sales staff are based on real outdoor experience as well as extensive service and product training. Our staff are not paid by commisions. As a consumer co-operative, we sell to members only. Lifetime individual membership is open to all through the purchase of a $5.00 share.

MEC Guarantee

We stand behind the advice we give and guarantee the product we sell. If you feel a product purchased at MEC has not met your expectations, return the item with proof of purchase for exchange, refund, repair or credit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.