Mor"ti*fy (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mortified (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Mortifying (?).] [OE. mortifien, F. mortifier, fr. L. mortificare; L. mors, mortis, death + -ficare (in comp.) to make. See Mortal, and -fy.]

1.

To destroy the organic texture and vital functions of; to produce gangrene in.

2.

To destroy the active powers or essential qualities of; to change by chemical action.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

Quicksilver is mortified with turpentine. Bacon.

He mortified pearls in vinegar. Hakewill.

3.

To deaden by religious or other discipline, as the carnal affections, bodily appetites, or worldly desires; to bring into subjection; to abase; to humble.

With fasting mortified, worn out with tears. Harte.

Mortify thy learned lust. Prior.

Mortify, rherefore, your members which are upon the earth. Col. iii. 5.

4.

To affect with vexation, chagrin, or humiliation; to humble; to depress.

The news of the fatal battle of Worcester, which exceedingly mortified our expectations. Evelyn.

How often is the ambitious man mortified with the very praises he receives, if they do not rise so high as he thinks they ought! Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mor"ti*fy, v. i.

1.

To lose vitality and organic structure, as flesh of a living body; to gangrene.

2.

To practice penance from religious motives; to deaden desires by religious discipline.

This makes him ... give alms of all that he hath, watch, fast, and mortify. Law.

3.

To be subdued; to decay, as appetites, desires, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.