A 2-voice polyphonic analog strap-on synthesizer with a 44-note keyboard. Manufactured from 1980 to 1984.

The Liberation features two VCOs with a 3-octave range. They can be set to play in a thicker 2-oscillator monophony in addition to the 1-osc polyphonic mode. VCO1 is switchable between sawtooth, triangle and pulse waveforms, while VCO2 substitutes pulse with square wave. The oscillators can be synced, with a manual "interval" knob for adjusting the sync depth. A pink noise generator is also included.
Moog's patented 4-pole (24dB/octave) low-pass VCF is included as the filter. It has the typical cut-off and resonance controls, plus three keyboard tracking modes.
The VCF and VCA both offer their own ADS envelope generator. A single LFO is available, with the choice of triangle, square and sample/hold. It can be used to modulate the VCO sync depth by using the keyboard's aftertouch sensitivity. The unit also offers a ring modulator.

As mentioned above, the Liberation is a strap-on synth designed to be played like a guitar. Its neck features controls for filter cut-off (with a spring returning it to 0), modulation, volume, aftertouch sensitivity and portamento, plus a ribbon controller for pitch bend.
The strap-on part of the Liberation is connected with a cable to its other, rackmount section. It features the synth's power supply and a CV/gate interface.


back to Moog

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.