June 16, 1967... who was there? Only:
Friday: The Association, The Paupers, Beverly, Lou Rawls, Johnny Rivers, Eric Burdon and the New Animals, Simon and Garfunkel.
Saturday: Canned Heat, Al Kooper, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Electric Flag, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, Country Joe and the Fish
More Saturday: Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Otis Redding, Laura Nyro, Hugh Masekela, Moby Grape, the Byrds, Jefferson Airplane.
Sunday: Ravi Shankar, Buffalo Springfield (with David Crosby), the Who, Grateful Dead,&Jimi Hendrix, The Mamas and the Papas.
Also there: Booker T and the MG's.

An event, organized by John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas, their manager Lou Adler, and others from rock's nouveau-riche aristocracy, as a proof-of-concept showing off this emerging market of young record-buyers and concert-goers (one payoff: the resultant bidding wars over some Bay Area bands). To judge by the D. A. Pennebaker documentary, it was a lot of fun, unlike the later Massed Sheep Festival of Woodstock, which was an attempt to cash in big time on the success of Monterey.

Ravi Shankar, Indian sitarist (whom I once saw identified in a TV Guide listing (in the days when he still appeared on American TV) as "satirist Ravi Shankar"), also was there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.