A weeknight sound track
| 9pm Monday night |

It's monday night. Completion of the first instalment of the circus that is the working week. It's time to sit back and relax, catch the news, and think about slippers and cocoa. To assimilate the day into our idea of life so far. To wait for the dreams that will catch up with us at bedtime.

But it's not bedtime yet. It's too early to sleep. To surrender. It's time to watch the news.

9PM News (BBC News 24)

No. It's too late in the day to deal with news. The world, it seems, isn't in a fit state to be left to its own devices for a whole day. Sometimes, being fucked up is just a normal response to a fucked up situation. What else can we do when confronted with such an insane and bizarre world, but lead our own thoughts to insane and bizarre places?

Baby Elephant Walk (Henry Mancini)
America (Allen Ginsberg and Tom Waits)

Falling asleep watching the news doesn't help matters any. If there's one thing that's clear, it's this: if we're going to make it through this in one piece, we're going to need some coffee.

Bo's Veranda (Morphine)
Colin makes himself some coffee (CaféDirect 8065)
Golden Ball (Stereolab)
Hypersonic (Fluffy)

Commercial break. No more bad news. Except for the continuing pillage of our natural and cultural resources in the name of consumer-driven free-market capitalism masquerading under the guises of 'progress' and 'choice'. It's hip and trendy to live on a dead planet.

Touch Sensitive (The Fall)
Friend (Quickspace Supersport)
Lenny Valentino (The Auteurs)
River (Red House Painters)

This is insane. There's only one way: out.

Rocket Number Nine (Sun Ra)
Go, Man, Go (The Wedding Present)

Change and development, perhaps, should be more personal, less financial. Nirvana is available from your corner store, your soul is a key target demographic. "I don't want to end up a statistic," they say without realising they already are. Acknowledging that there is a problem is the first step to dealing with it.

Epistle to Dippy (Donovan)

This is insane.

Spare Ass Annie (William S. Burroughs vs. the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy)

Yet there are people to show us the path and how to walk it.

The Jacques Tati (Frank Black and Teenage Fanclub)

And people to help us lose ourselves along the way.


Real Surreal (S*M*A*S*H)

I'm trying not to be lost.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.