Teeth that are quadrate in form. They have a large occlusal surface.

The fully dentate human adult has three molar teeth in each quadrant, hence a total of 12 molar teeth. The third molar is the most posterior and is also known as the wisdom tooth.

The formation of the first molar is initiated 15 - 17 weeks in utero, begins calcification begins around that time of the birth of the child. Hence any peri-partum disturbances to the health of the baby or mother will result in some disturbance in the formation of the tooth. It may be hypoplastic or hypocalcified when it erupts years later.
The first molar erupts into the oral cavity when the child is about 6 years of age, hence it is also known as the six year old molar. It erupts distal to the most posterior primary tooth.

The formation of the second molar is initated when the child is about 9 months old, calcifies at about 2.5 - 3 years old and erupts at about 12 years old. No surprise that it is also called the 12 year old molar.

The third molar is the most talked about tooth in the head. Its formation is initiated it about 3.5 - 4 years old, and calcification begins at 8 -10 years old. The timing of its appearance in the oral cavity is the most variable of all teeth. Basically, 17 to 82 years old.
How wise do you feel?

Mo"lar (?), a. [L. moles mass.] Mech.

Of or pertaining to a mass of matter; -- said of the properties or motions of masses, as distinguished from those of molecules or atoms.

Carpenter.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mo"lar, a. [L. molaris, fr. mola mill, fr. molere to grind in a mill. See Mill the machine.]

Having power to grind; grinding; as, the molar teeth; also, of or pertaining to the molar teeth.

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mo"lar, n. Anat.

Any one of the teeth back of the incisors and canines. The molar which replace the deciduous or milk teeth are designated as premolars, and those which are not preceded by deciduous teeth are sometimes called true molars. See Tooth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.