Mocap Boxing is the second of Konami's Arcade releases to include their unique motion capture technology. (That's what the Mocap stands for). The first title to include the sensors was Police 24/7, released in early 2001.

As with all great ideas, the Motion Capture hardware is actually quite simple. An array of sensors on the metal framework at the top of the game tracks the position of the player's head as they move around in front of the machine.

Once the game knows where your head is, it can then readjust the view on the screen as you move around, so your actual real movements in front of the cabinet become part of the game itself.

This is obviously quite a natural style of game play to apply to boxing. Basically, your onscreen opponent launches punches at you head, and if you don't move it out of the way in time, he hits you. Simple, huh?

"Aha, but how do we hit back, then?" we hear you cry. Well, that's where Mocap Boxing's special gloves come into play. The machine can also track their position too, so when you get a chance you can jab back at your opponent's vulnerable spots.

The Cabinet

Mocap Boxing's main cabinet is standard size, however the nature of the game requires that there is plenty of room in front of and to the sides of the machine to allow the player to take evasive action.

Main cabinet width = 750mm
Width (including sensor frame and mat) = 1200mm

Main cabinet depth = 1595
Depth (including sensor frame and mat) = 2236mm

Height = 2290

Total weight = 300 kg approx. (excluding mat).

Power Consumption = 300 W 230 V

How to Play

Stick on the special gloves attached to the front of the machine, place your feet squarely on the mat and you're ready to play Mocap Boxing.

The game features special motion capture hardware, so unless you want to get knocked right out you'd better keep on your toes and avoid your opponent's jabs, crosses and uppercuts.

Each time your opponent takes a shot at you, he will leave himself vulnerable to counter-attack. A target will appear on his body or jaw for you to take a jab at. Time your punch well and watch him flinch back in pain.

The target also contains a number that shows you how many punches you can land, depending on how open your opponent leaves himself and how fast your hands are. When the opposition is on his last legs, you will see the "Rush" target appear, and you can land 15, 30 or even 50 punches in one savage combination to put him on the deck.

Sounds exhausting, doesn't it? Well, it's all good exercise. However, there is also another way to floor the bad guy while minimizing the number of punches you make: watch the punch power gauge in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Your power increases with the more punches you dodge, until it reaches a level when you can floor or even knock out an opponent in one go.

Be careful with this tactic, however. Your adversary only needs to land one punch on you to reset you punch power to nothing, and you'll soon find yourself lying on your back and staring at the pretty lights if he connects with too many.

Bouts are decided on the basis of first to three knockdowns. However, they also run against the clock, so be careful not to take too long about it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.