Mnemosyne (nee MAHS ih nee) was a goddess in Greek mythology. She was one of the Titans, one of the sons and daughters of Uranus and Gaea. After the defeat of the Titans by the Olympian gods, Zeus visited Pieria and he spent nine hot sweaty nights with Mnemosyne. She gave birth to the nine Muses, the nine patron goddesses of the arts.

She was the goddess of memory. Her name means memory in Greek, which is where we get words like "mnemonic". I recently came across an interesting note on the significance of Mnemosyne. "The Greeks, who understood the artistic process very well, were apt at describing it as springing from a union between creative thrusting nature and fertile memory." (Bernard Evslin, Gods, Demigods, and Demons, 1975)




Trumbull Stickney (1874-1904)

It’s autumn in the country I remember.

How warm a wind blew here about the ways!
And shadows on the hillside lay to slumber
During the long sun-sweetened summer-days.

It's cold abroad the country I remember.

The swallows veering skimmed the golden grain
At midday with a wing aslant and limber;
And yellow cattle browsed upon the plain.

It's empty down the country I remember.

I had a sister lovely in my sight:
Her hair was dark, her eyes were very sombre;
We sang together in the woods at night.

It's lonely in the country I remember.

The babble of our children fills my ears,
And on our hearth I stare the perished ember
To flames that show all starry thro' my tears.

It's dark about the country I remember.

There are the mountains where I lived. The path
Is slushed with cattle-tracks and fallen timber,
The stumps are twisted by the tempests' wrath.

But that I knew these places are my own,
I'd ask how came such wretchedness to cumber
The earth, and I to people it alone.

It rains across the country I remember.

I am reading The Female Trickster: The mask that reveals, by Ricki Stefamie Tannen.

Regarding Mnemosyne, she writes: "The power of memory was recognized in Ancient Greece by the goddess Mnemosyne who ruled over the Elysian Fields. The nine daughters of Mnemosyne and Zeus are the muses, with Thalia, the muse of comedy imaged with a Trickster's mask as she playfully composed comedy and ironic poetry. The muses were women unto themselves. According to the myth, upon death a person makes a choice to either drink from the river Lethe or the spring of memory. If you drink from Lethe you forget your pain and all the lessons of your life and are reborn again on earth. Those who choose to drink from the spring of memory go to the Elysian Fields, where there is no strife or pain. The myth tells us that the path to psychological integration comes from a willingness to value and interact with memory. Those that repress memory are doomed to repeat it, over and over again. (pp72-73)

Mnemosyne reminds me of a noder somehow.

But more, this seems apropos both to my personal and professional life and also to US culture. Our President speaks like my stage IV substance abuse patients. He says things that are obviously lies, obviously not true, obviously refutable and yet to all appearances he believes his own lies entirely, even when he contradicts himself. He manufactures his own reality and just laughs when someone else disagrees. But my substance abuse patients crash: they eventually find that they are isolated with their own lies when they become so fantastic and bizarre that no one believes them any more. We are watching that play out.

Re my personal life, I think of my maternal aunt's memorial. I wrote two memories for the memory book. One was about my father saying that she had perfect pitch. I did not know what perfect pitch was but I knew from my father's voice, the respect, that it was special and important. That he was envious. That he admired it. The second was about my aunt and uncle's divorce, that I had seen them as a unit and liked both of them better when they turned into individuals.

My cousins wanted to use the first memory but not the second. They said that family wouldn't like it. I thought about their request and finally said no. Use both or neither. They chose neither. And this pretty much illustrates why I have very little contact (or "likes" on Facebook) from my maternal family. I want to remember the whole person, light and dark, love them all, love them whole. And that is not what my maternal family wants. An old family friend has not spoken to me about my sister since grundoon died. I asked her directly about it a few months ago. She wants to talk to me "only about happy memories of your mother, father and sister." I respond, "Why don't you ask me what sort of relationship I want?"

She was and is silent. So I am too.

It's not a lack of love but it's a difference in philosophy. I think it is crazy to whitewash the dead: how will our children understand their own dark feelings and impulses and mistakes if they think that their ancestors, grandparents, parents are angels? Why aren't we honest as a culture? The curated lives on Facebook are an abomination, false, lies and look what we have in the White House.

I like the dark as well as the light. If we truly love everything in the universe, how can we not love the dark as well as the light? If each of us owned our dark sides, our dark impulses, the myth says that we will not enact them over and over each generation. Owning the dark, acknowledging our own dark does not mean that we have to act it out in the world and then lie to ourselves and others.

And now I want coal for my stocking: just a small piece, to remind me that I have not always, nor will I ever, only be good.

Mne*mos"y*ne (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. remembrance, memory, and the goddess of memory. See Mnemonic.] Class Myth.

The goddess of memory and the mother of the Muses.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.