Mizuhara Shuoshi (1892-1981) was a 20th century Japanese poet who was responsible for a trend towards greater emotional expression in haiku.

Shuoshi was the son of a doctor who ran a medical clinic, and as eldest son, he followed in his father’s footsteps and went into medicine. He studied serology, obstetrics, and gynecology at Tokyo University, graduating in 1926. He taught at Showa Medical College, practiced in his father’s clinic, and in 1932 was appointed to the prestigious post of medical advisor to the Ministry of the Imperial Household.

He began writing tanka and haiku as an undergraduate. In the 1920s, he was published in Hototogisu and his poetry was acclaimed. However, he felt restricted by the conservative principles of Takahama Kyoshi and his followers and declared his defection in a 1931 essay, "Truth in Nature and Truth in Literature". Unlike many poets, who rebelled against the rules like the 17 syllable count, Shuoshi instead felt that Kyoshi’s principles of emotional detachment limited his ability to emotionally express himself through poetry. Shuoshi and his followers started a magazine called Staggerbush and dedicated themselves to a more romantic, lyrical type of haiku.

Shuoshi retired from medicine in 1952 and began a series of visits to Buddhist temples. During his life, he published around 20 volumes of haiku.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.