A year or 2 ago Coldcut released a single called "Autumn Leaves". And Mixmaster Morris did a remix. When the 17-minute track starts it sounds like a tuneless collection of beeps and other electronic sounds. But if you listen you soon realize it's the counterpoint of "Autumn Leaves" deconstructed, which in turn reconstructs into a strangely moving piece of music that's recognizably "Autumn Leaves", but which transcends the original. Even better than the real thing.

Interestingly, (and I would like to say that I agree about the excellence of MM's remix), the track "Autumn Leaves" was not originally written by Coldcut.
After some serious Napster'ing (with the Joy Of ADSL) I have uncovered two other versions - a really ripping torch-song version by Edith Piaf (with lyrics in both English and French), and a rather noodly jazz instrumental version by Chet Baker.

Both are good, especially if (like me) you'd only heard the Coldcut/MM version before, however I would most especially recommend tracking down the Edith Piaf version..

Other fun fact: The Coldcut/MM version is Fatboy Slim's alltime favourite chill-out track. Sensible man.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.