After reading mcc's node, Usage of the Sony Playstation 2 controller as a back massage device I thought top idea! Luckily for me soon after reading mcc's node, I read the node Vibrator Warning. Inspired by this node I flipped through the user's manual for the Sony Playstation 2 Dual Shock 2tm controller, and made the startling discovery of this warning:


Safety Issues (Vibration Function)

Stop using this unit immediately if you become tired or if you experience unpleasentness or pain in your hands or arms while using. If condition persists, consult your doctor.

Do not attempt to operate the analog controller (DUALSHOCK 2tm) for Playstation 2 or analog controller (DUALSHOCKtm) for Playstation in any way other than with your hands. Do not bring the analog controller (DUALSHOCK 2tm) for Playstation 2 or the analog controller (DUALSHOCKtm) for Playstation into close contact with your head, face or near the bones of any other part of your body.

Do not use the vibration function of the analog controller (DUALSHOCK 2tm) for Playstation 2 or the analog controller (DUALSHOCKtm) for Playstation if you have any ailment in the bones or joints of your hands or arms.

Do not use the vibration function of the analog controller (DUALSHOCK 2tm) for Playstation 2 or the analog controller (DUALSHOCKtm) for Playstation when your fingers, hands, wrists, or arms are broken, dislocated or sprained, or if you have a pulled muscle. These ailments may become worse due to the vibration function on the controller.

Avoid prolonged use of the analog controller (DUALSHOCK 2tm) for Playstation 2 or the analog controller (DUALSHOCKtm) for Playstation. Take a break approximately every thirty minutes.


I know most of that has nothing to do with mcc's node (I put italics on the related part), but I thought I'd post the whole thing for other people's safety because I don't think most people would read the manual.

Anyway, sorry mcc, but as the story of Vibrator Warning taught me, don't use devices not intended for massaging as massage devices as they usually have a warning telling you not to.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.