The Milli Mejlis is the parliment
ary body of Azerbaijan
. The name "Milli Mejlis" is the Azerbaijani
translation of "national assembly." The purpose of the body is to propose and debate legislation, and keep the President of Azerbaijan in check
The Azerbaijani Constitution
, especially Section V
is pretty specific about how the Milli Mejlis is to be arranged. It has 125 available seats, no more, no less (These seats do not all have to be filled, more on that in a minute) Members of the Milli Mejlis, officially known as "deputies," serve for 5 year terms. They are elected on the first sunday of November
, with the entire body up for re-election at the same time. Not just anyone can be elected a deputy; you have to meet the following criteria:
- You are over the age of 24.
- You are a citizen of Azerbaijan
- None of the following apply to you:
- You have dual citizenship
- You "are in State service in other countries"
- You work in the Executive or Judicial bodies
- You are "engaged in a different paid activity with the exception of scientific, creative and teaching work"
- You are a "minister of religion"
- You are someone "whose inactivity has been confirmed by the court"
- You are in prison ("Person who serves their sentence in places of confinement")
Deputies are immune from legal prosecution of any sort, except if they are caught red-handed in a crime. They cannot be searched, detained, punished, or examined in any way, for as long as they are in office. Deputies cannot be made to answerable for their votes in the Milli Mejlis, nor any ideas they express in the Assembly.
For the purpose of elections to the Milli Mejlis, Azerbaijan is divided into 100 single-seat districts and one nation-wide district. Of the 125 available seats, 25 are allotted proportionally
from the nation-wide district. The remaining 100 seats are distributed in a curious manner. Each of the 100 districts elects one person to the parliament. The would-be deputies have to win a majority in not one, but two
district-wide elections. And, unless 50% of the eligible voters actually participate
, the whole thing is called off and that district's seat is left vacant. All Azerbaijan
i citizens over 21 may vote in elections to the Milli Mejlis.
Sessions of the Milli Mejlis
The sessions of the assembly are defined in the Constitution. There are two yearly meetings of the parliament, from 1 February until 31 May, and then from 30 September to 30 December. The body is convened only if 83 members (2/3rds of the assembly) are successfully elected. If fewer than 83 seats are filled, then the Constitutional Court simply does not convene the Milli Mejlis. The constitution does not say what will happen in these cases. It is likely, though, that a new round of elections would be held, with a intense get-out-the-vote
effort in those districts that slacked off the first time around.
Powers of the Milli Mejlis
The constitution gives the Milli Mejlis the power to create laws governing the following items, as quoted from Section V
, Article 94:
- Use of human and civil rights and freedoms. State guarantee of these rights and freedoms;
- The Azerbaijan Republic Presidential elections;
- Elections to the Milli Mejlis of the Azerbaijan Republic and the status of members of the Milli Mejlis of the Azerbaijan Republic
- Court system and the status of judges; attorney-ship; bar and notary business;
- Legal proceedings, implementation of court's decisions;
- Municipal elections and status of municipalities;
- Emergency situation regime; martial law regime;
- State awards;
- The status of physical and juridical Persons;
- Objects of Civil Law;
- Transactions; civil law Agreements, representations and inheritance;
- Right of ownership, including legal regime of State, private and municipal property, right of intellectual
property; other property rights; obligation right;
- Family relations including trusteeship and guardianship.
- Foundations of finance activity, taxes, duties and payments;
- Labor relations and social security;
- Determination of crimes and law violations; imposing answerability for their commitment;
- Defense and military service;
- State service;
- Foundations of security;
- Territorial set up; regime of State borders;
- Ratification and denunciation of international agreements;
- Communications and transport;
- Statistics, metrology and standards;
- Commerce and transaction;
- Banking, accounting, insurance;
Items 2, 3, and 4 must be approved by a 2/3rds majority, with the remainder of the points needing only a simple majority.
The parliament is also authorized to deal with these situations, should they arise:
- Organization of work of the Parliament Milli Majlis of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic establishment of diplomatic representations of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Administrative-territorial division;
- Ratification and denunciation of international agreements;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic approval of state budget of the Azerbaijan Republic and control over its execution;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic approval of military doctrine of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- In cases specified in the present Constitution approval of decrees of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic giving consent for appointment of Prime-minister of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic appointment of judges of Constitutional Court of the Azerbaijan Republic, Supreme Court of the Azerbaijan Republic and Economic Court of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic giving consent for appointment and dismissal of General Procurator of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Dismissal of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic by way of impeachment based on recommendation of Constitutional Court of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic dismissal of judges;
- Taking decision regarding a vote of confidence in the Cabinet of Ministers of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic appointment and dismissal of members of Administration Board of National Bank of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Based on recommendation by the President of the Azerbaijan Republic giving consent for enlistment of Military Forces of the Azerbaijan Republic to operations other than their normal duties;
- Based on request of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic giving consent for announcement of war and conclusion of peace treaty;
- Announcement of referendum;
- Establishment of an Auditor Chamber.
Items 1-5 must be approved by a simple majority, 63 votes; the other items 6-19 are to be approved in a similar fashion unless some other law says otherwise.
The Milli Mejlis is led by a Chairman. The Chairman of the National Assembly
is elected from the ranks of the parliament on the first day that the group is assembled. Any elected member may be a candidate for the chairmanship, a 5-year position that is filled by a simple majority
election. If there is a tie in this first round of elections, a run off
is held between the tying candidates. The chairman is the second-highest ranking government official in Azerbaijan, behind only the President of Azerbaijan
. Should the president be removed from office in any way, the chairman is to assume the presidency
. The chairman's duties and powers include the following:
- Convenes sessions of the Milli Mejlis.
- Refers texts to a committee for study.
- Can open, adjourn and close sittings.
- Ensures respect for provisions of the Constitution and Standing Orders.
- Makes announcements concerning the Assembly.
- Takes disciplinary measures in the event of disturbance, and lifts such measures.
- Establishes the list of speakers, gives and withdraws permission to speak.
- Establishes the order in which amendments are taken up and selects which amendments are to be debated.
- Calls for a vote.
- Checks the quorum.
- Authenticates the texts adopted and the records of debates.
- Has discretionary power to give the floor outside the agenda and thus organizes impromptu debates.
- Is responsible for establishing the budget.
- Recruits, assigns and promotes key officials only.
- Appoints the Secretary General.
- Is responsible for relations with foreign Parliaments.
- Is responsible for safety, and in this capacity, can call the police in the event of disturbance in the Chamber.
- Takes the floor in legislative debates.
- Provides guidelines for the interpretation or completion of the text under discussion.
- Takes part in voting.
- Proposes bills or amendments.
- Intervenes in the parliamentary oversight procedure.
Should the chairman be absent from the parliamentary session, the First Deputy Chairman
shall temporarily assume the office and powers of the chairman.
The current hierarchy
of the Milli Mejlis:
- Chairman: Murtuz Aleskerov
- First deputy chairman: Arif G. Rahimzada
- Vice chairpersons: Ziyafat A. Asgerov, Govhar B. Bakhshaliyeva
- Secretary General of the Assembly: Safa Mirzayev
If you want to send mail to the Milli Mejlis, the address is
Parliamentary Avenue, 1
Baku, Azerbaijan, 370152
The telephone number is (99412) 39 97 50, 93 49 43
To cable the assembly, the number is "Milli Mejlis, Baku 370152"
To Telex: 142294 Ganun
You can fax the Parliament: (99412) 93 49 43
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Their official website is located at http://www.meclis.gov.az/
Current (2002) members of the Milli Mejlis
Sorted alphabetically, by surname
- Abbasov Ali M.
- Abbasov Mirmovsum K.
- Abiyev Ahad M.
- Abdulazimov Naghi K.
- Aghalarov Rifat N.
- Aghamali Fazail R.
- Aghazada Igbal F.
- Akhundzada Anar S.
- Ahmadov Ali J.
- Ahmadov Ramiz H
- Ahmadova Gular M.
- Allahverdiyev Rafael Kh.
- Alesgerov Khalis A.
- Alesgerov Murtuz N.
- Alirzayev Ali G.
- Aliyev Bakhtiyar H.
- Aliyev Jalal A.
- Aliyev Ilham H.
- Aliyev Karam G.
- Aliyev Gulamhuseyn S.
- Aliyev Shaitdin S.
- Aliyev Yashar T.
- Alovlu Khidir B.
- Asadov Oktay S.
- Asgerov Aghabay M.
- Asgerov Shahlar G.
- Asgerov Ziyafat A.
- Aslanova Rabiyyat N.
- Ayyubov Shirzad Sh.
- Azizov Vasadat A.
- Bakhishov Huseynagha E.
- Bakhshaliyeva Govhar B.
- Gafarov Rafael I.
- Gahramanov Eldar A.
- Ganbarov Miri A.
- Gandilov Bahruz S.
- Garalov Zahid I.
- Gulamov Hidayat H.
- Guliyev Isgandar H.
- Guliyev Musa I. (Musa Urud)
- Guliyev Nizami Y.
- Guliyev Novruz M.
- Gurbanli Mubariz G
- Gurbanov Rauf M.
- Gurbanov Shamil D.
- Hajiyev Asaf H.
- Hajiyeva Gultakin Y.
- Hasanov Fakhraddin A.
- Hasanov Jamil P.
- Hasanova Malahat I.
- Heydarov Fattah S.
- Huseynov Ali M.
- Huseynov Jahangir H.
- Huseynov Rafael B.
- Huseynli Tofig G.
- Ibrahimbayov Magsud M.
- Ibrahimli Fazail F.
- Ibrahimov Eldar R.
- Ibrahimov Nazim H.
- Imanverdiyev Sudeif B.
- Isayev Ibrahim M.
- Ismaylov Imamverdi I.
- Jabiyev Rizvan I.
- Jafarov Nizami G.
- Kamalov Tapdig J
- Karimli Azar Sh.
- Karimov Ali A.
- Karimov Karim H.
- Kazimli Khanhuseyn H.
- Kazimov Mirkazym M.
- Khanlarova Zeynab Y.
- Khalilov Salahaddin S.
- Khudiyev Nizami M.
- Mahmudov Yagub M.
- Manafova Asya S.
- Mammadkhanov Anar J.
- Mammadov Elman J.
- Mammadov Elton A.
- Mammadov Famil H.
- Mammadova Asmatkhanum B.
- Mammadova Gulchohra H.
- Mirzayev Hasan I.
- Mirzazada Aydin B.
- Mollazada Asim N.
- Mehbaliyev Sattar S.
- Muradova Bahar A
- Musayev Madar A.
- Musayev Musa H.
- Novruzov Samur H.
- Novruzov Siyavush D.
- Nuriyev Alimammad M.
- Orujov Zahid M.
- Osmanov Hikmat S
- Omarov Ismayil A
- Panahova Amaliya A.
- Pirmatov Gulmat M.
- Ramazanov Hajimammad Y.
- Rajabli Hadi M.
- Rahimzada Arif G.
- Rahimzada Vugar G.
- Rustamkhanli Sabir Kh.
- Rzayev Anar R.
- Sadigov Bakhtiyar Y.
- Sadigov Fikrat M.
- Salahli Sayyad A. (Sayyad Aran)
- Seyidov Samad I.
- Safarli Mayis I.
- Safarov Sattar I.
- Samadov Abutalib G.
- Samadov Oktay J.
- Sofiyeva Aynur M.
- Suleymanov Tahir S.
- Shahtakhtinskaya Naira A.
- Sharifov Aghakarim Sh.
- Talibov Vasif Y.
- Tabrizli Sirus Kh.
- Tahmazov Elbrus H.
- Timoshenko Vladimir V.
- Vahabzada Bakhtiyar M.
- Vakilov Vagif S.
- Yagubov Zalimkhan U.
- Zabelin Mikhail Y.