Allergy Safe Recipes

2 cups of (white) rice flour
1/2 cup of corn flour
1/2 cup of potato starch
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
2 tsps of locust bean flour (or carob)
3/2 tsps of salt (or less)
1/3 oz of yeast (or equiv in dry yeast)
3/2 tsps of sugar
2 tbls of olive oil
1/2 tbls of apple vinegar
lukewarm water

1) Put the yeast and the sugar in a glass measure, that can hold 2 cups or more.
2) Mix all dry ingredients in a sufficiently large bowl.
3) Butter a spring form (8..10 in diam) and generously dust it with the above dry mix, the flour that does not stick to the form goes back into the bowl.
4) Meanwhile, the yeast and sugar have dissolved, add 1 cup of lukewarm water, the oil and vinegar and mix it, until it looks milky. Then fill up to a level 2 cups and mix again.
5) Mix the dry and wet mixes.
6) Depending on the consistency of the dough, add lukewarm water, until the dough is smooth and just a bit thinner than regular dough.
7) Put the dough into the spring form and put it in the handwarm oven to rise for 40-60 minutes, form covered by damp cloth. (try to keep the cloth away from dough)
8) After rising, put up heat to 220 CELSIUS (430 Farenheit). after a few minutes, set the heat back to 200 Celsius (400 F). After 10-15 minutes, cover the form and bake the bread for a total of 50-70 minutes.

Experiment a little bit with the proportions of dry ingredients and water, maybe also with the ammount of yeast needed. Too much yeast makes the dough go quickly and collapse while baking.

The bread thus created can be used for multiple purposes: Just bread (toasted or not), Pizza (prebake a flat loaf), Pizza bianca (flat bread with olive oil and salt on top), Pizza bianca with onions (add onion rings on top), and a lot of variations with doughs containing nuts, olives, grilled bacon etc.


Copyright 1997-1998, Eileen Kupstas Soo. Use and copying of this information are permitted as long as (1) no fees or compensation are charged for use, copies or access to this information, and (2) this copyright notice is included intact. -- CST Approved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.