Mike Richter was a goalie for the NHL's New York Rangers from 1989 to 2003. Born in Abington, Pennsylvania on September 22, 1966. He began playing hockey in his teens, and in 1986 became goalie for the US National Team. In 1988, the Rangers drafted him, and he was placed in the Rangers minor league teams for the season. The next year, Mike started in 23 games posting a 12-5-5 record.

In the 1991-92 season, Mike shared the starting goalie position with John Vanbiesbrouck. In his 45 starts, Mike posted a 21-13-7 record, and started in all six of the Rangers' playoff games. That season, Mike was named starter for Team USA in the Canada Cup. Team USA placed third.

In the 1993-94 season, Mike appeared in a career-high 68 matches, posting a 42-12-6 record, along with a 2.57 goals against average. Mike was voted to the Eastern Conference All-star team, where he was voted most valuable player, the first goalie to be given the award in five years. Mike started in all 35 playoff games that season in which the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. That season, Mike played in four games with Team USA in the Hockey World Championships.

In the 1996-97 season, Mike was named starting goalie on Team USA for the World Cup of Hockey, which Team USA won. Mike was named MVP.

The following season, Mike had a franchise record 2.03 goals against average, he also tied for fourth in the NHL for most wins, with 33. In the playoffs, Mike Stopped 151 of 161 shots in the Conference Quarterfinals vs. Florida, posting a .938 save percentage and a 1.83 goals against average.

On March 8, Mike turned aside 24 shots in a 3-2 overtime victory vs. Toronto, moving past Ed Giacomin into sole possession of first place on the Rangers all-time wins list at home, with 129.

During the 2000-01 season, Mike played in his 500th game, passed Giacomin for all time total wins (thx Billy), was awarded the Players' Player Award, which is given to a player who receives the most votes from his teammates. But during the Skills competition in the All Star game, Mike tore his left ACL, keeping him inactive for the rest of the season.

Mike holds the record for most career wins (301) in the Rangers organization. Also, it's interesting to mention the unusual transaction Mike participated in during the 1998 expansion draft. The Atlanta Thrashers were allowed to pick any player left unprotected by any team in the league, as each team was given a certain amount of protections to use. At this time, the Rangers had numerous superstars wearing the "Broadway Blue" jersey, including Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier, so the Rangers protected them, and left Richter unprotected. The Thrashers, in need of a franchise player, selected Richter first in the draft. However, immediately after being selected, Mike announced that he would sign a new contract with the Rangers, sending him back to New York.

Mike's career was derailed by post-concussion syndrome, leading to his retirement during the 2002-03 season, at the age of 36. His uniform number, 35, was retired by the Rangers on February 4, 2004.

Career stats at hockey-reference.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.