The lowest level of Microsoft certification. The MCP is a catch all term to describe someone who has passed one M$ certification exam in any area from Windows 98 to COM. If you have the breath to fog a glass, you can get an MCP.

Having two MCP's on staff makes your company eligible to become a M$ Certified Partner. With that status, a company can get big discounts on M$ development products. Not a bad deal over all.

The MCP is useful particularly for people working at help desks or as a stepping stone to higher certifications. You can get certified by just taking one test, but there is one exception. You cannot get certified in Microsoft Networking Essentials, which is required for the next certification level, MCSE.

You can get certified using these tests:

  • Designing and Implementing Distributed Applications with Microsoft Visual C++ (Exam# 70-015)

  • Designing and Implementing Desktop Applications with Microsoft Visual C++ (Exam# 70-016)

  • Designing and Implementing Data Warehouses with Microsoft SQL Server (Exam# 70-019)

  • Developing Applications with C++ using the Microsoft Foundation Class Library (Exam# 70-024)

  • Implementing OLE in Microsoft Foundation Class Applications (Exam# 70-025)

  • Administering Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 (Exam# 70-026)

  • Implementing a Database Design on Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 (Exam# 70-027)

  • Administering Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (Exam# 70-028)

  • Designing and Implementing Databases on Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (Exam# 70-029)

  • Designing and Implementing Web Sites with Microsoft FrontPage 98 (Exam# 70-055)

  • Implementing and Supporting Web Sites using Microsoft Site Server 3.0 (Exam# 70-056)

  • Designing and Implementing Commerce Solutions using Microsoft Site Server 3.0, Commerce Edition (Exam# 70-057)

  • Internetworking Microsoft TCP/IP on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (Exam# 70-059)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows 95 (Exam# 70-063)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 (Exam# 70-067)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 in the Enterprise (Exam# 70-068)

  • Application Development with Microsoft Access for Windows 95 and the Microsoft Access Developer's Toolkit (Exam# 70-069)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (Exam# 70-073)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Exchange Server 5 (Exam# 70-076)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Internet Information Server 3.0 and Microsoft Index Server 1.1 (Exam# 70-077)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Proxy Server 1.0 (Exam# 70-081)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft SNA Server 4.0 (Exam# 70-085)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0 (Exam# 70-087)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 (Exam# 70-088)

  • Designing and Implementing Solutions with Microsoft Office 2000 and Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (Exam# 70-091)

  • Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows 98 (Exam# 70-098)

  • Analyzing Requirements and Defining Solution Architecture Elective Exams (Exam# 70-100)

  • Designing and Implementing Web Solutions with Microsoft Visual InterDev 6.0 (Exam# 70-152)

  • Developing Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 (Exam# 70-165)

  • Designing and Implementing Distributed Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (Exam# 70-175)

  • Designing and Implementing Desktop Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (Exam# 70-176)

  • Additionally, the new Windows 2000 courses are available for MPC.

Tests cost $100US. Microsoft uses the Sylvan Prometric and Virtual University Enterprises to administer the exams. All of the exams are closed-book, multiple-choice, and are timed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.