What is a Micro Scooter

A Micro Scooter is a two-wheeled, non-powered scooter. It doesn't have an engine (a small scooter with an engine is a Go-Ped. Movement is created by the driver, who pushes with a foot. Imagine a scateboard with only 2 wheels, with handlebars. The whole thing is usually made in tasteful aluminium.

Other common features include

  • a brake (a sprung metal hinge thing above the rear wheel, which you push down to slow and stop.)
  • Folding. Most models incorporate a handlebar which folds down, thus making the Micro Scooter small enough to fit into a small rucksack.

How much do they cost?

Prices vary, but expect to pay between £40 and £100, depending on size and make.

Who buys them?

Apparently everyone. Personally I don't have one (see the point below, "Are they Cool?"). From personal observation around a few towns, loads of kids (i.e. 5 - 13 year olds) have one. It's like the skateboard of 2000. In their early days, they were mostly purchased by busy city types hoping to scoot through the busy city streets. I've seen TV footage of exactly this happening. Perhaps a user from London can confirm or deny this. I know for a fact that a Vicar in Blandford (Dorset, UK) own one, and rides on it to Church.

Are they cool?

Well.

This is the big point of contention. Kids think they're cool. For now. But then so is Pokemon. So were Yo Yos 2 years ago (and 15 years ago). So were skateboards when I was young(er).

Adults are less sure. Since their popular introduction, it seems that the city businessman has become embarrassed at the sheer popularity of the Micro Scooter, and it now lives in a cupboard. I know when I first saw one I thought "That's a good idea" and thought about buying one. I didn't though. Now, if I had, I would be ashamed to be seen on it. It's been over-popularised. They are seen and sold everywhere. The little shop in the building in which I work (the shop is like a small Post Office / Newsagent that sells magazines, newspapers and sweets) seems to stock this kind of fad. Last year they started selling Beanie Babies, now they sell Micro Scooters. Somehow that feels wrong and off-putting.

Conclusion

I think Micro Scooters would be cool if there was still an element of elitism. If you're going to scoot around, you want people to look at you and say, "Wow, what a cool idea", rather than "Sheesh, not another one"

Product Life-Cycle for the phenomenal craze of 'Micro Scooters'
(business studies 101)

Introduction: Phase One
Scooter seen demonstrated on cool lifestyle programs such as The Priory and nowhere else. Mildly amusing, provokes little reaction other than to wonder which overpaid young demographic might first succumb to this latest fad. Not annoying at this stage.

Growth: Phase Two
Scooter makes its way onto Blue Peter whose overpaid young presenters tell us (in between stints at the Priory) that the new scooters are the latest fad. And everybody agrees with them.

Maturity: Phase Three
The stage at which the product attains saturation point i.e. 'everyone' has one. Micro scooter mayhem reaches its nadir - grown men spotted whizzing across Leeds City Station in rush hour fury, scooter seen on not-so-cool daytime TV programs such as This Morning*

Decline: Phase Four
The product 'dies'. A good analyst (I am not one of these) will tell you that the ideal stage to start developing the next product is phase three, a good friend will tell you not to bother in the first place.

*Speaking as I do, as a cynical member of generation X with a few hours to kill during the day, there is more than a little amusement to be gained from this program. However, this is in no way meant to be an attack on Richard and Judy, their show just conveniently illustrates a point I was (unsuccessfully) making. Thank you. :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.