"Glam was a mixture of theatre, sexual ambiguity and progressive art that drew in millions of fans whilst retaining its subversive edge."

Mick Rock is a celebrated music photographer, whose work is acknowledged to have defined the Glam rock era.
During the most exciting and outrageous years of Glam (1972-77), Rock became the favourite lensman of many of the scene's leading players.
Having graduated from Cambridge University, he'd decided to follow his fascination with rock 'n' roll by taking photographs - his first major subject was Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett.

When he met David Bowie in 1972 - just before his Ziggy Stardust period - and became his official photographer, Rock's career took off. He worked with all the major players such as Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Queen and moved to New York and shot the seminal punk performers such as Blondie, The Ramones and Talking Heads.
Rock was also on set during the entire shoot of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, as the Special Photographer, and his photo of Johnny Rotten became the Sex Pistols first national US magazine cover. He also worked with bands such as Roxy Music and Pointers Sisters, and characters like the flamboyant fashion designer Zandra Rhodes , film-maker Derek Jarman and even Screaming Lord Sutch.

A multi-award winning photographer, Mick's work is featured on many of the iconographic album covers of the 70's and he was instrumental in creating the image that defines Glam for millions of people.

His rock images have been exhibited in galleries all around the world and are currently showing at the Proud Galleries, in an exhibition entitled Blood and Glitter. Glam: An Eyewitness Account.( 5 Buckingham Street, London WC2. Tube: Embankment or Charing Cross. Open 10am - 7pm, Every Day. Prices: Entry £2. Concessions £1. April 5th - May 6th)

"This is not intended to be a history, a critique, an apologia for the 'Glam' revolution - but it will indisputably be the most comprehensive single eyewitness account in picture and word. I was not an outsider looking in. I lived it."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.