Probably the world's only old Harrovian rock star, Michael D'Abo has a slight physical and vocal resemblance to Paul Jones and so replaced him in Manfred Mann when Jones went solo.

While D'Abo was singing lead on late period Mann hits such as My Name Is Jack, he was also in demand as a writer/producer ,writing such classics as Handbags And Gladrags and the lesser known but just as good Little Miss Understood for Rod Stewart, and Build Me Up Buttercup for The Foundations, although he became less successful after Manfred Mann split.

These days D'Abo tours with a band called The Manfreds - a 60s nostalgia act that has a revolving membership, usually invoving most members of the classic 60s line-up of Manfred Mann, such as Tom McGuinness and occasionally Paul Jones, although never Mann himself. The band puts on a revue-style show, which often features guests such as Alan Price, Chris Farlowe and Colin Blunstone performing for all or part of the show.

There seems to be very little biographical information about Manfred Mann out there - if anyone has some accurate discographical info or dates, please /msg me and I will add them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.