1883- Opera House in New York City
It was originally built on West 39th St. by a group of wealthy businessmen who wanted their own opera house, moved to the Lincoln Center in 1966. Samuel Barber was commissioned to open the new facility with a performance of his Anthony and Cleopatra. Famous throughout the world due to thousands of broadcasts which came from there. Starting in the 30's with radio and in the 40's on TV.
Famous conductors include:
There are wall murals by Marc Chagall.
Last Updated 12.21.02