This node is meant to analyse as many different tools that can be used to help you learn.

Television

Methods of Input
Methods of Output
  • None
Brain Processing Required
  • Linking images and sounds together
Write-Up

Television is one of the oldest forms of communicating information in the current “information age”, unfortunately Television has become clogged up with lots of junk that don’t provide enough information. Documentaries/Docu-Soaps allow you to look into lives that you would never have had the chance too otherwise. There is very little choice on the television, you have to wait for the information to come to you and even then it is only available the moment it is broadcast, without recording that is.

Radio

Methods of Input
  • Hearing
Methods of Output
  • None
Brain Processing Required
  • Speech is a slow method of communication, Brain has to wait for all the words to be put together into a sentence before it can try to understand what it means.
Write-Up

Radio is not generally thought of as a method of learning among the younger generations, music is seen as the key function of radio. If you do search though, there is information to be found on some of the talk radio stations. There is very little choice on radio, you have to wait for the information to come to you and even then it is only available the moment it is broadcast, without recording that is. Radio is, however, very good at communication of the news, including traffic information, in my experience. An advantage over television being that it takes less work to put a radio broadcast together.

The Internet

Methods of Input
  • Hearing
  • Sight (text, still and moving images)
Methods of Output
  • E2 – you can write-up what you learn
Brain Processing Required
  • Connection of hearing and sight, interpretation of information.
Write-Up

The Internet is the newest form of communication, consisting of large amounts of information (a lot of which is useless), which is all linked together using hyperlinks. E2 is an Internet within an Internet, write-ups are linked by words. The difference between this and television and radio is here you can write-up any input you get on one of the information gathering web sites such as E2 or H2G2. Reading is a lot faster than hearing someone speak, and you can read something many of times, and whenever you want. Occasionally information is listed on search engines or site directories so it can be found easily.

Conversation or Debate

Methods of Input
  • Hearing
  • Sight
Methods of Output
  • Speech
  • Notetaking
Brain Processing Required
  • Manufacturing of arguments.
Write-Up

When participants are highly clued up on the subject conversation can be the best way of communication and learning because you may be actively arguing your point against someone else.

Conclusion

It would appear that human conversation / the Internet are both good ways for the exchange of ideas and information. The Internet will keep you informed while conversation will aid in your understanding of any topic.

Thanks to Frater 219 for suggestions

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.