This is a bill sponsered by Orrin Hatch and Dianne Feinstein that would essentially declare the First Amendment null and void in any area relating to illegal drugs. You have to read it to believe it:

"it shall be unlawful for any person... to teach or demonstrate the manufacture of a controlled substance, or to distribute by any means information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of a controlled substance, with the intent that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime."

Basically what that means is that if you tell anyone anything about an illegal drug, and they do something illegal with that information, you are in deep shit. This includes telling someone about drugs, about how they are made, about their dangers(or lack thereof) or even linking to sites with such information. Basically giving anyone any kind of information about illegal drugs could possibly become illegal.

Of course, no one seems to give a damn about this.


Ed. note: More information on the bill, including the full text, and a list of sponsors, can be found here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:h.r.02987:

The methamphetamine anti-proliferation act seems to have faded back into the Orwellian depths from which it emerged. A search on thomas.loc.gov turned up no pending legislation on methamphetamine proliferation, and of the two hits (hehe) relevant to drug policy turned up by a search on "methamphetamine" alone, neither contained the blatantly unconstitutional restrictions on speech found in the old MAPA.

Ding, Dong, the witch is dead (at least for now)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.