Mercury is the only town located within the Nevada National Security Site, and serves as the home base for scientists, security forces, and other workers conducting cleanup, radiological waste disposal, and research projects there. Originally founded by the Atomic Energy Commission in 1950 as Base Camp Mercury, two major construction efforts expanded Mercury's facilities until at its peak the town housed over 10,000 people and boasted a school, movie theater, bowling alley, swimming pool, and lodging among its other amenities.

The U.S. signed and conformed to (but did not ratify) the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in 1992, just months before the joint UK/US ICECAP test was to take place, and activity at the Nevada National Security Site was reduced to subcritical nuclear tests and cleanup of the considerable quantities of radiological waste there. The population of Mercury likewise declined, and many of the shopping & recreation facilities were closed. Today, there are few people actually living there, though there is a large security force as well as many emergency services personnel, since under an agreement with Nye County and the State of Nevada, the Nevada National Security Site is responsible for emergency medical and fire services on US-95 between Indian Springs and Beatty.

Mercury is administered by the Department of Energy; despite its location in Nye County, since it is on Federal land it does not fall under county jurisdiction. The town is not open to the public and requires permission from the Department of Energy before entry.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.