Mencius. Book VII: Tsin Sin. Part I. Chapter XL.
Legge's summary: How the lessons of the sage reach to all different classes.
1. Mencius said, 'There are five ways in which the superior man effects his teaching.
2. 'There are some on whom his influence descends like seasonable rain.
3. 'There are some whose virtue he perfects, and some of whose talents he assists the development.
4. 'There are some whose inquiries he answers.
5. 'There are some who privately cultivate and correct themselves.
6. These five ways are the methods in which the superior man effects his teaching.'
Previous chapter main Mencius node Next chapter
Translated by James Legge
, published in 1861 and revised for publication in 1895. Prepared as etext by Stephen R. McIntyre. Noded by schist
. Please msg schist if you have suggestions for useful hard-links.