Men Behaving Badly is a hilarious British TV comedy show first broadcasted in 1992 on ITV, then aired on BBC from 1994. Its main characters are Gary (played by Martin Clunes) and Tony (Neil Morrissey), two typical sexist blokes whose main occupations are going to the pub or having a pint in front of a football match.

Gary is in a long term relationship with Dorothy (Caroline Quentin) whilst Tony lusts after Deborah (Leslie Ash) who lives in the flat above. Other characters include Anthea (Valerie Minifie) and George (Ian Lindsay)who work for Gary's security company. The first series also featured Harry Enfield as Dermot, Gary's first roommate, who subsequently left to travel around the world on a motorbike with a girl called Latitsia. The program ended in 1998 with 3 special hour long episodes. Altogether, it has won a total of 9 television awards.

The best and worst thing about Men Behaving Badly was that it could almost have been a documentary. I've shared a flat with other straight guys before and this is really how it was.

The scriptwriters appeared to have merely taped my life and toned down the language for television.

The first series of Men Behaving Badly wasn't actually very funny, which many of us put down to editorial controls from ITV and the frankly wooden presence of Harry Enfield. Had the series stayed with ITV (and Enfield) it is unlikely that it could have survived another season. However, the application of a more liberal editorial attitude and Neil Morrissey's gormless believability turned the series into a classic almost immediately once Season 2 began.

Men Behaving Badly (known as It's A Man's World overseas) is also the name of a short-lived NBC sitcom based on the UK version. It aired from September 1996 to December 1997, and starred SNL's Rob Schneider as photographer Jamie Coleman, Ron Eldard as Jamie's roommate Kevin Murphy, and Justine Bateman as Kevin's girlfriend Sarah Stetton. Jamie spends most of his energy trying to impress women, while Kevin deals with the problems that arise in a relationship. The Kevin and Sarah characters were written out of the show about halfway through its run (they went to Chicago to get married) - I have to guess that Ron Eldard was off to do a little movie called Deep Impact. They were replaced with Steve(Ken Marino) and Katie (Jenica Bergere), but the damage had been done, leading to Men Behaving Badly being cancelled in the middle of its second season.

http://www.imdb.com
http://www.tvtome.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.