Melanie Jayne Chisholm was born on January 12th, 1974 in Widnes, Lancashire, England to parents Joan O'Neill and Alan Chisholm.

As a young girl, Melanie loved dancing and watching ballet, however (as her nickname might suggest), she was also into both karate and soccer. At the age of 16, Melanie was accepted to The Doreen Bird Dance School, where her instructors remember her as being "a delightful ballet dancer", having strong technical skills.

As Melanie recounts in the Spice Girl book, she was a bit of a troublesome teen. When living with her mother, who eventually left her father Alan, Melanie would get angry and throw tantrums while shouting. She also ran away quite a few times, but usually came back in about an hour or so.

Many times, Melanie would meet up with a few of her friends at various unsuccessful film and musical dance auditions. Her and her four friends (Victoria, Melanie, Geri, and Emma) eventually got together and shared a house in Maidenhead, Berkshire during late 1993. While living together, they started writing and demoing songs, impressing manager Simon Fuller enough to work with them in May of 1995, followed shortly after by a record deal with Virgin Records in June of 1996 forming the quintet known as the Spice Girls.

Albums: (Spice Girls)

  • Spice
  • Spiceworld
  • Forever

Albums: (Solo)

  • Northern Star
  • Reason

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.