Med"i*tate (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Meditated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Meditating.] [L. meditatus, p. p. of meditari to meditate; cf. Gr. to learn, E. mind.]

To keep the mind in a state of contemplation; to dwell on anything in thought; to think seriously; to muse; to cogitate; to reflect.

Jer. Taylor.

In his law doth he meditate day and night. Ps. i. 2.

 

© Webster 1913.


Med"i*tate, v. t.

1.

To contemplate; to keep the mind fixed upon; to study.

"Blessed is the man that doth meditate good things."

Ecclus. xiv. 20.

2.

To purpose; to intend; to design; to plan by revolving in the mind; as, to meditate a war.

I meditate to pass the remainder of life in a state of undisturbed repose. Washington.

Syn. -- To consider; ponder; weigh; revolve; study. -- To Meditate, Contemplate, Intend. We meditate a design when we are looking out or waiting for the means of its accomplishment; we contemplate it when the means are at hand, and our decision is nearly or quite made. To intend is stronger, implying that we have decided to act when an opportunity may offer. A general meditates an attack upon the enemy; he contemplates or intends undertaking it at the earliest convenient season.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.